Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

channel assignment

hi,

i have cisco wap200 placed in my premise...

what would be good for channel assignment. Manual or automatic                  

Everyone's tags (2)
4 REPLIES

Re: channel assignment

Automatic is better so it uses the best channel among available channels. It will also change the channel automatically if the current channel for some reason went bad.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

channel assignment

dear amjad,

thank you for your valueable reply..

i have put some 1242AG aps also connected to controller... in this case what will happen for automatic and manual assignment.

bcos when i put wap200 on automatic, i found sugnal fluctuation and when i set it manually with 1 6 11 channel, signal is more stable than before

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Well that changes thing... Your better off manually setting the channel then. Not really a good idea to have a mixed environment like that. Your roaming for sure will fail if users roam from one wireless to another.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

It all depends on what you exactly mean by the word "fluctuation".

If you mean that the channel keeps changing when you choose automatic (each time a channel change happen the clients will disconnect) then that could probably be normal. why? well, suppose that you added the new wap200 that was heared by 3 1242 APs (3 different channels, 1, 6 and 11). In this case whatever the wap200 will choose as a channel then there will always be interference. depending on signal strength and distance between wap200 and the other APs, channel quality may change with time so the current good channel could be worse than another so the wap200 changes it is channel. It is also possible that 1242 APs change the channel if they detect the wap200.

The best thing to do is to to make good design so wap200 is being heard a minimum from other 1242 APs to avoid unwanted channel change. changing wap200 location may be considered to achive this goal.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Views
Helpful
Replies