cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Channel configuration on dual SSID

John Peterson
Level 1
Level 1

I am installing a few aironet around a environment which requires dual SSID one for Guest and the other for business.

When configuring the channel for each SSID should I make both SSIDs on the same aironet the same channel and then ensure the closest aironet with the same dual SSIDs is both on the same but different (non-overlapping) channels ?

Or should both SSIDs on each aironet be on different channels?

Thank you.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It doesn't matter.  I don't see the reason or the logic behind the "guest should use channel 1 and corp should use channel 11".   This logic goes out the door when you have neighboring wireless and they are blasting in the same channel as you are.

Thanks,

I was under the impression that neighboring aironet with the same SSID should be different channels with a 15% overlap.

From what your've said, I will then keep both SSID on the same aironet on the same channels.

Channels are tied to the AP, not the SSID. So if you have 1 or 2 or 6 SSIDs on a single AP they will all be on the same channel. The neighboring APs are where you want to make sure that they are not on the same channel as much as possible or overlapping.

Thank you,

When selecting the channel selection should the AP be set to auto scan its neighbouring channels?

Or should a site survey be conducted and manually selecting the channel as blakerone suggested?

All the APs will have the same ssids but at different location around the building.

Channel selection ... Hmmmm ... autonomous IOS ... Not a good combo.

I mean the issue here is your 802.11b radio.  If you have neighborhood wifi around, smart money 802.11b is being used and  Channels 1, 6 and 11 are used too.  No issues with 802.11a since there are more channels to play with.

It's OK if you have a WLC because of the Dynamic Channel Assignment feature.  But with autonomous WAP, you need to constantly monitor your neighbor.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card