Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cisco 1142 in Repeater Mode

Hi,

I am a bit confused of the repeater functionality in the mentione AP, my concerns are:

1- Will each radio be dedicated to one function (for example 2.4 GHz for user access and 5.0 GHz for repeater functionality)?

2- Will the internet speed for users be affected when using the access point in repeater mode (no ethernet)?

3- Can an Autonomous AP function as a repeater?

4- Is there any license required?

5- What is the signal overlap requirements between the two Wired and non Wired AP?

6- Can the non wired AP be work as a repeater for another non wired AP (similar to cascading)?

Thanks

Everyone's tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Cisco 1142 in Repeater Mode

1- Will each radio be dedicated to one function (for example 2.4 GHz for user access and 5.0 GHz for repeater functionality)?

Look at this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.2_11_JA/configuration/guide/s11rep.html#wp1034746

2- Will the internet speed for users be affected when using the access point in repeater mode (no ethernet)?

Yes, you loose half the throughput on each consecutive repeater

Yes, see link in #1

No

5- What is the signal overlap requirements between the two Wired and non Wired AP?

See link in #1

6- Can the non wired AP be work as a repeater for another non wired AP (similar to cascading)?

Yes, the first repeater, you already loose half the throughout. Each repeater after that your cut the throughput in half again.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
5 REPLIES

Look at this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.2_11_JA/configuration/guide/s11rep.html#wp1034746

Yes, you loose half the throughput on each consecutive repeater

Yes, see link in #1

No

See link in #1

Yes, the first repeater, you already loose half the throughout. Each repeater after that your cut the throughput in half again.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Thanks Scott,

One point,

When you say the throughput will be cut to half, if I have a 20 MB in the first (wired AP), on the second it will be 10 MB and on the third it will be 5 MB,

Sorry for jumping in. But let me reply as Scott did not reply yet (if you permit Scott).

Yes. What you explained is what Scott means.

20 MB will be almost 10 MB if the client is connecting to the repeater AP (not the wired one).

If there is a second repeater

switch <----> WiredAP (((((---))))) Repeater1 (((((--)))))) Repeater2 ((((((---)))) Client

The client connected to Repeater2 will receive half throughput it would have if it is connecgted to Repeater1.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Yeah what Amjad said:)

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Using a Cisco 1142 Autonomous Access-Point

Can i use the 5 Ghz Radio to make the uplink of repeater and the 2.4 Ghz radio to give service to the users? Like Mesh technology?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content