Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1242 question with ADSL

The_guroo_2
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Gents

i have cisco 1242 which is successfully downgarded to the autonomlous mode............i have a wirless DSL modem with four standard ethernet connection.............my wireless ADSl modem is lpocated at mu basement and i have hooked up my new 1242 at first floor..........need some basic help for configuration.........as we know that wirless ADSL wtherney has LAN interface and i would hook upo the new AP with that but the isuse is that it will get a DHCP IP as normally ethernet ports alloate yoiu DHSCP IPs when u conect any device...........i need to know what steps i need to configure as i want that DHCP shd be still goven by original wirless router and ndew AP has its own SSID name and shared authentication...........which mode i have to configure as on GUI it has repeater, root bridged,access etc........Kindly plz help me so that i can set it up

Thanks and regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If I understood your scenario, you have already connected 1242 AP onto your home internet router ethernet port & you want to know how to configure 1242 to provide wireless using a pre-shared key with DHCP on your home internet router. If it is the case follow the below steps

1. Erase the configuration of your Autonomous AP & Reload to comeup with zero ocnfig

AP#erase startup-config

Erasing the nvram filesystem will remove all configuration files! Continue? [confirm]

[OK]

Erase of nvram: complete

AP#reload

System configuration has been modified. Save? [yes/no]: no

Proceed with reload? [confirm]

2. Then do the following configuration with modified SSID name & preshared-key as you required.

hostname

!

dot11 ssid

authentication open

authentication key-management wpa version 2

guest-mode

wpa-psk ascii

!

interface Dot11Radio0

encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm

ssid

no shutdown

!

interface Dot11Radio1

ssid

no shutdown

!

interface BVI1

ip address dhcp

3. Test your wireless connectivity with new SSID using pre-shared key configured. It should work & you should get DHCP IP from your home wireless router defined IP range.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to buy a home router that support your ADLS. This will connect to your ADLS modem and then your 1242 AP will connect to that. The 1242 doesn't perform routing or NAT and that is why you need a router in between.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

What is the recommended IOS for this Ap as i am having issue ......it has to be standalone IOS if i am not wrong can someone please tell me the IOS name i can downlaod it from cisco

Thanks

Yes, it should be autonomous.

c1240-k9w7-tar.124-25d.JA2.tar is the latest I can found on cisco website. Pls download this onto your AP & try it.

Refer this for how to do that if you have any queries with the conversion.

http://mrncciew.com/2012/10/20/lightweight-to-autonomous-conversion/

Rasika

HTH

If I understood your scenario, you have already connected 1242 AP onto your home internet router ethernet port & you want to know how to configure 1242 to provide wireless using a pre-shared key with DHCP on your home internet router. If it is the case follow the below steps

1. Erase the configuration of your Autonomous AP & Reload to comeup with zero ocnfig

AP#erase startup-config

Erasing the nvram filesystem will remove all configuration files! Continue? [confirm]

[OK]

Erase of nvram: complete

AP#reload

System configuration has been modified. Save? [yes/no]: no

Proceed with reload? [confirm]

2. Then do the following configuration with modified SSID name & preshared-key as you required.

hostname

!

dot11 ssid

authentication open

authentication key-management wpa version 2

guest-mode

wpa-psk ascii

!

interface Dot11Radio0

ssid

no shutdown

!

interface Dot11Radio1

ssid

no shutdown

!

interface BVI1

ip address dhcp

3. Test your wireless connectivity with new SSID using pre-shared key configured. It should work & you should get DHCP IP from your home wireless router defined IP range.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi rasika

Thanksman for valuable...........info.............one last question is that what antennas shd i buy............i bought this new but didnt got any antenna in the box why would cisco sell it without the antenna will it work???? scondly i need max covergae so what antenna shd i buy............thirdly what mode this Ap shd work in ............u havent mentioned any mode in your config so it shd be access point mode (which is default) or do we have to change ot to bridge or something

Thanks again

By default AP will be in access point mode & you would see station-role set to "root" under both radio interface once you put the AP into default config (step 1 in my response).

Since in step 1 , we put this default config, I only provided you the additional configuration lines required (excluding default config lines)

Regarding Antenna types, I saw your other post & go ahead with what Leo suggested.

If you want max coverage then you should have both 2.4 GHz antennas. But for better throughput/less interference you should go with 5 GHz antenna. So you should have all 4 antennas to cover all aspects.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Sorry what was default configuration???? i will tell you what i did i put the new IOS (autonomous one) rebooted and add your additional config...........i didnt clean the startup config as there was no config (as it was a new AP) or have i missed something????

Then that should be fine. If you do "show run " you will see the all the commands configured on your AP.

Even with the new AP, certain commands are there by default. If you want to see what they are, you can simply erase the startup config & reload. Then try "show run "command to  see default config lines.

Rasika

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card