cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 1242 wifi question

The_guroo_2
Level 2
Level 2

Guys we are deploying 1242 Ap as autonomous at a small site. I guess i have got lot of information from this forum and i am really thankful to ppl who replied to my questions..........my question is that this AP has 2.4 and 5.0 GhZ radio which makes it two radios and four total antennas...........i have bought four antennas and they are on its way. My question is that  both radio will work??? for sake of example if I have an iphone or laptop i will see SSID so which radio i will be connecting to 2.4 or 5.0 ........how does it work when u have two and you are using both what is the benefit

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Yes both radio will work. Normally 2.4GHz having larger coverage area compare to 5.GHz. But performance wise you will get much better outcome using 5.GHz over 2.4GHz as 2.4GHz already having so many devices & band is congested.

If your client device only support one frequency band (2.4GHz or 5 GHz) then they will connect to AP using that band.

If your client device is dual band (most of wireless client) then depend on the client driver preference it will connect to either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz.

So If you want to support clients in either band, then you should  enable both radio interfaces & use all those 4 antennas for diversity.

If you are using this AP with a WLC, then you can configure WLC to prefer 5.GHz over 2.4GHz (a feature called "band select")

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Abha Jha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes both 2.4 GHZ and 5GHZ radio will work.

It depends on client at which radio it wants to connect to.. signal wise, speed wise..etc..

Four antennas are for diversity..

kaaftab
Level 4
Level 4

Wel the 5.0 Ghz compliant devices will connect and preffer the 802.11n freq and vise  versa but the only draw back is with 2.4 the AP will lose some of its efficiency in term of being backward compliant to support 802.11a/g devices.

The process is automatics do the end customers don’t even notice

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card