Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco 1242AG, 1 or 2 antennas???

I have a 1242AG that I am implementing in a Nursing Home facility. We are using D-Link 7dB antenna's 2.4Ghz. My question is if I use 1 antenna on the right (primary) side compared to running 2 antenna's in diversity mode, which mode is faster??? I've searched all the forums and can't find an answer. Thanks.

6 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: Cisco 1242AG, 1 or 2 antennas???

bluesuperman1978 wrote:

I have a 1242AG that I am implementing in a Nursing Home facility. We are using D-Link 7dB antenna's 2.4Ghz. My question is if I use 1 antenna on the right (primary) side compared to running 2 antenna's in diversity mode, which mode is faster??? I've searched all the forums and can't find an answer. Thanks.

Jason

You will probably get a quicker and much more informative answer if you moved this thread to one of the wireless forums as that's where the wireless experts hang out.

Jon

Gold

Multiple antennas as you mentioned will allow diversity.  Only one antenna is still used at a time.  Whichever antenna receives the cleaner signal will be the one used.  So technically multiple antennas won't change the speed directly, but it will help because of the multipath mitigation.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

If you want to install only ONE antennae, use the "Primary" antennae and disable Diversity.  If you want to use only one of the two radios (a/g or b/g) then disable the radio you don't use or you might "burn" the radio transmitting without any antennas.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Be careful with too high of a gain antenna.... depending on your coverage... your client might hear your AP but your AP might not hear the client.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi,

If your D-Link Antennas are dipole antennas, then it's really better if you use both connectors on the AP because dipole antennas are really designed to work as a pair because they overcome multipath distortion. But if your antennas are not dipole antennas, but instead the regular omnidirectional antennas, then just use 1 connector. Using omnidirectional antennas (that are not dipole) in both connectors is not recommended by Cisco. See the link: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps6973/positioning_statement_c07-565470_ps469_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Views
Helpful
Replies