Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

Cisco 1250 and AIR-ANT5959

Hi all,

Cisco 1250 ordering guide indicates that AIR-ANT5959 can be utilised for 2.4 Gig radio.

AP 1250  provides  3 connectors for the dipole antennas but AIR-ANT5959 spec indicate that it comes with 2 BNC connectors.Are we suppose to stick a dipole on the leftover connector ?.If thats the case, how can we identify which is the TX and which is RX so you can connect the  AIR-ANT5959 to the respective radios without impacting any performance?Any help much appreciated.

cheers,

Janesh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Cisco 1250 and AIR-ANT59

Hi Janesh,

The connectors from the side of the 1250 are the transmit connectors. So left and right. Middle is only "receive".

So if you want to plug a 2 connectors antenna like the 5959, you need to plug it on left and right connectors (order is not important).

Be aware that you then lose the MIMO capability since antenna is diversity and not MIMO.

So for IOS ap you would need to configure "antenna transmit diversity" and "antenna receive diversity". That will prevent your 11n rates but will work fine.

WLC APs can be configured the same in the AP config on WLC. You just specify it's a diversity antenan plugged on left/right only.

Connecting a different antenna on the middle connector would be a mistake since 3 antennas is only used in case of MIMO and you cannot achieve MIMO with a diversity antenna + another antenna on middle connector.

I hoep this help,s

Nicolas

===

Please rate answers that you find useful

7 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Are you sure you want to use the 5959????  The reason I am asking is because the 5959 has a peak gain of 2 dBm.  Not really very strong.  What are you trying to do?

Hi Leo,

Most antenna types under the ordering guide for 1250 does not contain 3 elements.

The question was not about gain.I mentioned Air-ANT 5959 as an example in relation to my question.

Sorry if I did confuse you.

Let me rephrase the question.If we decided to go with a AIR-ANT2465P-R, how do we identify  the TX and RX connectors on the 1250 ?

cheers,

Janesh

Cisco Employee

Hi Janesh,

The connectors from the side of the 1250 are the transmit connectors. So left and right. Middle is only "receive".

So if you want to plug a 2 connectors antenna like the 5959, you need to plug it on left and right connectors (order is not important).

Be aware that you then lose the MIMO capability since antenna is diversity and not MIMO.

So for IOS ap you would need to configure "antenna transmit diversity" and "antenna receive diversity". That will prevent your 11n rates but will work fine.

WLC APs can be configured the same in the AP config on WLC. You just specify it's a diversity antenan plugged on left/right only.

Connecting a different antenna on the middle connector would be a mistake since 3 antennas is only used in case of MIMO and you cannot achieve MIMO with a diversity antenna + another antenna on middle connector.

I hoep this help,s

Nicolas

===

Please rate answers that you find useful

Hi Nico,

It defenetly helps.Thanks so much for your answer.

cheers,

Janesh

We want to replace Cisco Aironet 1020 series with AIR-ANt-5959 using AIR-420-003346-020. 20 ft. cable with RP-TNC connectors.

Any suggestion for hardware?

Also how do I know if I client is connected to internal antenna or external antenna? Basically this will help me identify if the ANT-5959 is working or not?

Thanks!

Hall of Fame Super Gold

We want to replace Cisco Aironet 1020 series with AIR-ANt-5959 using AIR-420-003346-020. 20 ft. cable with RP-TNC connectors.

Better get someone who can review what you are trying to do because the longer the cable the higher the signal loss.

Cisco Employee

And please, open up your own question in the forum instead of using someone else's question which has been answered already.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content