cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 1250 AP setup

ksherwood
Level 1
Level 1

Hello gurus, can I please get some advice and learn from the results?

I have a cisco 1250 access point and want to add it to an existing  LAN network. I'm expecting this unit to then give me wireless access to  this network.

I have given the AP an IP address on this LAN and connected it to a port on a 3750 switch. There are no VLANS on this network.

A 6500 switch provides DHCP for this hosts connected to the 3750 switches.

If I configure the AP with an open WPA-PSK simple setup in guest mode

Is this how it would work ?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I understood you have an autonomous 1250 AP. right?

From what you described (no vlans, the AP have an IP, WPA-PSK is going to be used) I think you are on the right track.

If you create -correctly- an SSID on the AP it should give you wireless connection to the same network. Clients will get IP addresses from DHCP on same subnet as the BVI interface on the AP (DHCP scope supposed to offer IPs on same subnet).

Why don't you give it a try? or you did and you have any problem?

Let us know if you get any problem so we see how can we help. But from your description above I am expecting it is going to be OK.

Regards,

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

fbarboza
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

As you mention you have a flat network where all devices and users are on the same subnet.

In this case on the AP you will just need to give the unit an IP address, configure the SSID, the encryption method to use and then if you want to broadcast the SSID  select the option of guest mode (which does not mean guest access just that it will be broadcasted the SSID).

So in other words the configuration you mentiond should work.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card