Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1262 AP convert to LAP

Anatoly Fedchik
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

There is a question. Is it possible to convert autonomous access point Cisco 1262 to LAP?

Thank you in advance.

9 Replies 9

nikhilcherian
Level 5
Level 5

yes, you can do it, you wil have to load the rcv image

Thanks

NikhiL

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Agree with NikhiL.  All you need is to load the "rcv" image to the WAP and change the bootstring to load this image upon reboot.

Hi Leo,

Regarding the migration process from AP to LAP ,  I have the rcv image; I tried to convert with Upgrade tool  but I received an error  "AP is not supportted by the  upgrade tool". I have used this procedure with others AP models mainly 1242.

I  guess for  1262 this tool does not work.

Where can I find the detail procedure to convert  1262 from AP to LAP. ?

regards

I might suggest the easier "archive command". CLI into the autonomous access point and follow the below. You will of course need to change the TFTP and file name. But WAY easier and less hassle.

AUTONOMOUS to CONTROLLER

archive download-sw /overwrite /force-reload tftp://10.60.0.38/c1140-rcvk9w8-tar.124-21a.JA2.tar

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks George,

thanks for your quick response.

In my case the AP is working now and has static IP, when I  load the rcv image how the AP will know the WLC to which associate??

regards

Good point, glad you brought that up.

So that command I shared with you is 1 step, getting the AP from autonomous code to capwap code.

After this is done, normal discovery rules come into play. You need to do one of the following:

1. Put the AP on the same vlan as the managment vlan as the controller

2. option 43

3. dns

4. portforward UDP 5246

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

George,

Finally  I could migrate AP to LAPs  :-) ,  fortunately APs and WLC are  in the same segment.

I really appreciate your help.

Good deal. Pretty easy, isn it ..

Stop back if you have any issues. Please mark the answer as resolved, this will help other when searching.

fbarboza
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

To convert the IOS units to LWAPP you do not need to use the conversion tool, the tool is used for old model of access points.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-25068

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card