Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cisco 1310 bridges keep losing connection

Hi,

I have two 1310 bridges...one set as root and the other as non-root.

For some reason they keep losing connection.  When I reboot the non-root bridge, link is established.

Both bridges have an antenna connected with the right connector and they have the setting

antenna transmit right
antenna receive right

logs from root bridge

Nov 29 13:52:53.311: %DOT11-4-MAXRETRIES: Packet to client XXXX.XXXX.XXXX reached max retries, removing the client
Nov 29 13:52:53.311: %DOT11-6-DISASSOC: Interface Dot11Radio0, Deauthenticating Station XXXX.XXXX.XXXX Reason: Previous authentication no longer valid
Nov 29 13:52:53.568: %DOT11-6-ASSOC: Interface Dot11Radio0, Station Test XXX.XXXX.XXXX Reassociated KEY_MGMT[WPAv2 PSK]
Nov 29 13:55:16.260: %DOT11-4-MAXRETRIES: Packet to client XXXX.XXXX.XXXX reached max retries, removing the client
Nov 29 13:55:16.260: %DOT11-6-DISASSOC: Interface Dot11Radio0, Deauthenticating Station XXXX.XXXX.XXXX Reason: Previous authentication no longer valid
Nov 29 13:55:16.550: %DOT11-4-MAXRETRIES: Packet to client XXXX.XXXX.XXXX reached max retries, removing the client
Nov 29 13:55:16.550: Client XXXX.XXXX.XXXX failed: reached maximum retries

logs from non-root

Nov 29 2010 13:52:55: %DOT11-4-UPLINK_DOWN: Interface Dot11Radio0, parent lost: Received deauthenticate (2) not valid
Nov 29 2010 13:52:55: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Dot11Radio0, changed state to down

The signal strength is around -84dBm

Cisco IOS Software on both bridges is: C1310 Software (C1310-K9W7-M), Version 12.4(10b)JA1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Please help.

Thanks

Charmaine

12 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Cisco 1310 bridges keep losing connection

on top of my head this looks like a interference issue.. make sure the antennas are facing each other properly.. if the Root and the Non-Root are on different heights then make sure the antennas are tilted to see each other..

lemme know how this works out for you!!

Regards

Surendra

Hi Surendra,

thanks for your reply.

There is a line of sight between the two antennas and the signal strength is quite good (-84dBm).

Yesterday I set the maximum activity timeout (for association) to 180seconds.

Till now the bridges have not lost connection but still I'm not confident that this solved the issue.

Default (optional)

Specifies the activity timeout value that the access point uses when a device associates and proposes a zero-refresh rate or does not propose a refresh rate.

Maximum (optional)

Specifies the maximum activity timeout allowed for a device regardless of the refresh rate proposed by a device when it associates.

Cisco Employee

Hmmm.. maximum activity timeout is for tracking inactive devices.. lets monitor!!

lemme know how it goes..

Regards

Surendra

Yes that's why I'm not convinced that the activity timeout will solve the issue.  But so far so good.

I'm trying to send the logs to a syslog server running on a virtual machine in order to monitor closely the bridges.  I did all the configuration as stated in the cisco documentation but for some reason logs are not being written on the syslog server.

What I've noticed is that when I ping from bridge to the vm everything is fine but a traceroute is unsuccessful.  A traceroute from a normal pc to the vm is ok and even a traceroute from the vm to the bridge is ok.  I will have to look more into this matter.

Both bridges are being monitored by OpenNMS so if they lose connection I'll be alerted via email.  However it would be much better if I can check the logs.

The bridges are losing connection again :S

Issue is solved when rebooting the non-root bridge a couple of times.

What I cannot understand is why when the non-root and the root bridge lose connection, when I do 'show dot11 association', it seems that the two bridges are connected.  However when I try to ping the root bridge from the non-root bridge, I get a time out.

I managed to save the syslog messages on the virtual machine.  The problem was that the iptables were blocking the syslog messages.

Cisco Employee

hi,

When the connection was lost... was there any wind or mild thunderstorms or raining or something?? just curious to know if the climate is not playing wild..

Regards

Surendra

No the air is quite clear.  I have 27 bridges in all and none of them are losing connection.  Only these two are losing the connection.  All bridges have the same IOS version and similar configuration.

Cisco Employee

hmm.. To be frank its strange!! have you tried re-configuring the device by removing the current config once?

Regards

Surendra

I only reconfigured the non-root bridge.

Tomorrow I'm going to replace both bridges with new ones and hopefully issue will be solved.  I'll keep you posted.

Cisco Employee

-84dBm is not a good signal.

-30 dBm is for example an excellent signal

anything between -65dbm and -45dbm is something you should have on the p2p link for high data rates communication

-84dbm is very low and will barely give you 1Mbps association with error as you see here.

Check:

1- power level of the APs / int do 0 / power

2- Antennas being used

3- Distance

If you have tried everything and you really need to bridge over these two 1310 then you can use this command on the do0 interface

packet retry 32 drop packet

this will ensure you link stays up even if there is data transmission error. but that is not the ultimate solution off course.

Hi

thank you all for your replies!

We are going to conduct a site survey again next year.  For the time being I used the command '

packet retry 10 drop packet' (as suggested by Serge) and the bridges have not lost connection for 5 days now.

Hopefully this will be tackled and solved in January.

Thanks

Charmaine

What finally resolved your issue? I am having the same problem?>

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content