Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco 2504 WLC AirPlay/Sonos/Lutron Multicast Issue

Hi all,

I'd really appreciate any help with the following problem below, at two of my sites. For reasons beyond me, the client requested enterprise WiFi equipment in these domestic installations. These networks use Apple AirPlay, Sonos and Lutron which depend on multicast messages to function correctly.

Router > Cisco SG200-26P > Cisco AIR-CT2504-K9

Apple TV

Sonos

Cisco SG300-28P     > 4 x Cisco AIR-CAP1602I-E-K9

There are 5 VLAN's although I do not require any inter-VLAN multicast traffic.

When wired into the LAN (either switch) I can use these devices normally. However, when connected over WiFi, no Apple devices appear on either iTunes or iPad, Sonos becomes unusable and naturally, the Lutron processor is undiscoverable.

Model No. AIR-CT2504-K9

Software Version 7.5.102.0

Monitor > Multicast

Multicast Groups

Layer3 MGID

empty

Layer2 MGID

InterfaceName     vlandId     MGID

client and media  30          13

control           20          12

guest             40          14

management        10          0

security          50          15

I'm not using mDNS as I believe this is only required for inter-VLAN multicast linking.

Controller > General

AP Multicast Mode: Multicast 239.255.255.1

Controller > Multicast

Enable Global Multicast Mode: enabled

Enable IGMP Snooping: enabled

Any clues please?

5 REPLIES
VIP Purple

You need to enable mDNS to get this working.

Below will provide you guidance how to do this on 7.5.x with improved features

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/bonjour/7.5/Bonjour_Gateway_Phase-2_WLC_software_release_7.5.html

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi Rasikanayanajith,

Thank you for your input. I've tried following the posted guide to no avail.

One thing that concerns me is the lack of any entries in Layer3 MGID(Multicast Group ID) Mapping, located under Monitor > Multicast

Surely I should be seeing some entries in here with all the multicast devices that are on this networks (specifically VLAN 30)?

PS Congratualations on your recent CCIE Wireless certification!

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Cisco 2504 WLC AirPlay/Sonos/Lutron Multicast Issue

If all your devices are in vlan 30, this means both the devices and the clients, then mDNS doesn't have to be used. This was the old school way of getting Apple TV's to work but one of the other requirements was to make sure multicast was enabled on the switch infrastructure and broadcast forwarding was enabled. I have got this to work with broadcast forwarding disabled but many of the guides and other threads here mentions it should be enabled. If your devices are wired and clients are wireless, that can also be an issues because support for wired and wireless is really not there yet. I know that if I have a wired PC that is using Home Sharing, it doesn't work at all. I have had better luck using Avahi as a bonjour gateway than using the WLC as one. Hate to say it, but if I put my apple devices on my Aruba lab, everything works... Wired and wireless.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott Fella,

Thanks for your input too. All source devices (Apple TV, Sonos & Lutron) are wired to either of the two switches in VLAN 30. The devices that cannot see these source devices are connected to the same tagged VLAN 30 over the Cisco AIR1602I WiFi AP's.

My thoughts were like yours - I've no need to make multicast devices visible across VLAN's, just work between wired and wireless mediums.

I've done many other installations using the same switches/routers but using Ruckus for WiFi without any of these problems. Strangly enough, I do have this working fine with an older installation using 7.3.xx firmware at 2600 series WiFi AP's. I'd use the same firmware but newer firmware is required for these newer 1602 WiFi AP's.

Any other thoughts please?

Views
Helpful
Replies