Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2504 WLC - Design Probelm

CiscoWiFiGuy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

I would like to have your suggestion on my current Cisco 2504 Design Issue.

Currently i have 1 cisco 2504 WLC having ip on its default mgmt interface as "10.0.0.x" , Connected to my cisco Switch. DSL connection and all AP's are also connected on that same switch. Currently DHCP is configured in DSL Modem so all access points and Clients are getting ip's from DHCP.

This works fine.

Now i have to add WLC in Prime but the issue is Prime is on subnet "10.13.x.x" and from WLC 10.13.x.x subnet is not accessible. I have cross checked inter vlan routing configs also but i am unable to add wlc in prime.

created another interface in wlc and gave prime subnet range ip's even then while adding wlc in prime , it says device unreachable.

So could you please help me out in this , or do i have to give 10.13.x.x subnet in management interface of prime and create new interface for 10.0.0.x ?? will that work?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Good morning,

This sounds like a routing issue. Put PRIME in the same subnet as the WLC managements IP address and see if this works. 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi George,

For some policies , we can not put prime in same subnet. But i would like to update you with my test results:

I changed the mgmt int ip on wlc and configured same as prime /prime vlan 10.13.47.0, that time i was able to ping prime and wlc was added in prime.

I created new interface on wlc and gave it 10.0.x.x subnet ips and kept that as untagged so wt happend is i can see access points in wlc , they got ip from range 10.0.x.x which is fine but from controller i was unable to ping any of the access point. Also client was unable to get any ip and when i saw slient details they were trying to get ip from mgmt interface , which is not expected.

So please tell me if that is restriction with 2504 that all ap's should be in mgmt interface?

Please let me know wt is causing this issue?

Thanks

Cheers ;)

Good morning, 

Thanks for the feedback. Going off what you're sayinf Im thinking its something blocking this or routing. 

1. You move the WLC into the PRIME subnet and its working. When its not in the same subnet it doesnt. Either routing or ACL perhaps ?

2. Aps joined the WLC but cant ping from the WLC to Ap, again Im thinking somehting is blocking ICMP perhaps ?

3.  Make sure the WLAN mapping to the dynmaic interface is correct and not managment interface. If its not, make sure DHCP, helpers (if proxy is disabled on the WLC) and routing between subnets is working. 

4. Access points JOIN the management interface. 

What code are you on ?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Abha Jha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For adding WLC to prime.. WLC should be able to ping Prime and vice versa.. if that’s not pinging it wont get added. Please check the routing issue.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card