cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 350AP with firmware version 12.00

s.kadagathur
Level 1
Level 1

Two days ago I got a shipment of access points(brand new) with 12.00 software installed. To my wonder I tried to configure the access points as a root access point but it reverts to repeater access point(radio role). Also these access points came as default from factory as repeater access point.

I have opened a case with TAC and they advised me to upgrade to the next version. Does other people have similar experiences? Thanks.

8 Replies 8

darren.shaw
Level 1
Level 1

I have just had a delivery of 2 brand new 350 Access Points with the V12.00 software installed, and i have the same problem. Another problem that i have is getting the client to associate with the new 350's. I change to root access and the client then tries to associate, once it fails it then revertes back to a repeater.

If you get yours working let me know how.

thanks

Darren

Ps I have a older version AP with V11.23 installed and i dont have any problems with anything.

Thanks for your reply. Well, I upgraded the same brand new Cisco 350AP to version 12.1 according to the recommendation of the TAC and it still does the same thing. Meaning it can not be configured as a root access point. I have sent an email to the TAC handling my case. Also I could see lot of messages on the console while being connected through the serial cable like backbone connectivity lost although the ethernet side is not connected.

Well, I just now downgraded the AP firmware to version 11.23 as suggested by you and it is back to normal. Meaning those new access point works. Infact we have 11.23 in Cisco AP 350's. Thanks.

Hiya,

glad it works.

The new AP's that i have i am going to down grade them aswell to 11.23. Please let me know what TAC have to say. I have raised it with our Cisco Provider and they are looking into this.

rgds

Darren

darren.shaw
Level 1
Level 1

Hiya,

This is a strange one. I have just decided to upgrade the firmware on the Client (ACU). To 5.05 and just for curoisty switched on the AP and it works without any problems. I have done nothing to the AP.................just the client. I had a older version on and last night decided to download the lastest version.

The AP keeps the Root and doesnt change.

Maybe TAC have some answers???

hiya,

i found found out what the problem is................mine worked because it was connected to a wired LAN, once disconnected and connected to a battery for a survey it wouldnt of worked.

I think this is the reason.

When backbone connectivity is lost on an access point running version 12.01T1, the device switches to repeater mode. Switch to Repeater mode is the default setting for this condition. Therefore, if the access point's role in your network is not a repeater access point, make sure you connect it to your wired network before booting it up. If you do not connect the access point to your network, it switches to the repeater mode when it fails to detect the presence of an Ethernet connection. When this occurs, wireless client devices are unable to connect and you cannot correct the problem using a wireless client. The only way you can change the configuration is through a serial connection using the access point's command line interface.

But if it cannot find the client it reverts back to a repeater!!!!

I appreciate the help and thanks for letting me know and it looks logical that way. I do not know why it didn't strike me. In this week's Network World Magazine there is a nice article how people are using vendors forum like these as well as usenet to exchange ideas and solve problems.

Thanks.

Hi,

I have experienced the same problem when running 12.01T1 on the 1200 series access points. You can disable the switch to repeater mode function by selecting the following on the AP configuration page:

Setup --> Ethernet --> Set Properties

You should now see the Ethernet Hardware set properties configuration page. Change the "Loss of Backbone connectivity Action:" option from the default of "Switch to Repeater Mode" to "No Action".

Apply the setting and warm reboot your AP. I have made this change before and not rebooted the Ap only to have it revert back to the repeater setting so make sure you reboot.

Eric Schuller

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: