Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 5500 Wireless Controller supporting 75 AP

rami.saber
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am a bit confused abuot the 5500 Wireless Controller licensing and AP support.

Is it possilbe to order the AIR-CT5509-50-K9 Controller (This should support 50 AP and have the Hardware Capability to support 500 AP?)

And then order L-LIC-CT5508-25A to add the support up to 75 AP

Thanks in advance

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is it possilbe to order the AIR-CT5509-50-K9 Controller (This should support 50 AP and have the Hardware Capability to support 500 AP?)

And then order L-LIC-CT5508-25A to add the support up to 75 AP

Yes and no.

You CANNOT have a 5508 (with 50 WAP license) order a 25 WAP license.

You can, however, order a 5508 with 25 WAP license and order another 50 WAP license.

In case you are wondering, one can only get to order multiple 100-WAP license.  25- and 50-WAP license can only be ordered once. 

Thanks for the clarification,

But is their any documentation on this. As the documentation I went through mentions the following

"You can order Cisco 5500 Series Controllers with support for 12, 25, 50, 100,  250 or 500 APs as the controller's base capacity. You can add additional AP  capacity through capacity adder licenses available at 25, 50, 100 and 250 AP  capacities. You can add the capacity adder licenses to any base license in any  combination to arrive at the maximum capacity of 500 APs."

Thanks

Wait what?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Darren Lynn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes you can purchase a 50AP licensed controller and then purchase a 25AP adder license. I've done about 20 of these last year for clients of mine.

HTH

Darren

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Just be aware with purchasing a 5508 with a 12 AP license. See my blog post ... You would need to RMA or get Cisco involved if you wanted to get 500 aps on a 5508. Other wise you would MAX out at 487 access points.

http://www.my80211.com/home/2011/12/30/cisco-wlc-5508-license-gotcha-12-ap-wlc-can-only-support-487.html

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: