Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Cisco 5508- 7.5.102.0 code_ wifi fine tuning

Hi All,

We are having Cisco 5508 configured in HA mode , both controllers have 7.5.102.0 code running on them.

We are now trying to fine tune the Wifi Network and Coverage Areas :

1) we have leacture theater having seating capacity of 140 students . In that lecture theaters we are using 7*3602 access Points. but students are complaining for slowness in Network. WebAuth page  is downloading very slow and its intermittent like sometimes its not taking much time to download and authenticate client. if client as to get webauth page from controller so what i think it will also put load on controller where i am expecting 900 wifi session capacity. the moment i make everything open , it starts working fine and we then we dont see any student complaining regarding slowness in network.

I have configured TPC and DCA as automatic and using TPCv2. So any suggestions in making it fine tune??

2) 7.5.102.0 is having any bugs related to webauth process like page downloading slow?

3) previously i configured load balancing and i got minor alarm on Prime "

Coverage threshold violated on '802.11b/g/n' interface of AP
'Room417-AP5', connected to Controller '172.16.3.3'.

"

and few more access points  like this. now i have unchecked load balancing but now this minor alarm is coming on all access points.

So i need your suggestions to optimize the performance of wifi network.

Thanks,

Everyone's tags (1)
14 REPLIES
VIP Purple

HI Waqas,

Dont use 7.5 version, better to go for 7.4.121.0 or 7.6.

7.5 version have many bugs.

Just try with another version and then let us know the results.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Community Member

Hi Sandeep,

Thanks for your reply.

Actually we need to decide weather to downgrade it to 7.4 or upgrade it to 7.6 . But could you please let me know the issues which i have mentioned in my email , those bugs are related above mentioned issues??

Prior to any upgrade or downgrade , i want to make sure that there is nothing specific as far as config is concerned.

So could you please commnets on issues mentioned above.

Thanks

VIP Purple

As you are saying that open authentication works perfectly:

1) we have leacture theater having seating capacity of 140 students . In that lecture theaters we are using 7*3602 access Points. but students are complaining for slowness in Network. WebAuth page  is downloading very slow and its intermittent like sometimes its not taking much time to download and authenticate client. if client as to get webauth page from controller so what i think it will also put load on controller where i am expecting 900 wifi session capacity. the moment i make everything open , it starts working fine and we then we dont see any student complaining regarding slowness in network.

Means Its not a problem with config, You must check your customwebauth page. Try to use iNternal webauth page and then try again.

2) 7.5.102.0 is having any bugs related to webauth process like page downloading slow?

I dont have the number of the bug but 7.5 version image is deferred by Cisco due to its bugs/issues. So either move on to 7.4.121.0 if you require a stable code or jump onto 7.6.100.0.

"

and few more access points  like this. now i have unchecked load balancing but now this minor alarm is coming on all access points.

As per my experiences, you do not need to enable this, if you have done the proper site survey.

***Remember that a AP can handle 20-25 clients but if it have more then that then it will show the thresold violation message. (It can handle more but its not recommaned.)

Regard

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Cisco 5508- 7.5.102.0 code_ wifi fine tuning

I have configured TPC and DCA as automatic and using TPCv2. So any suggestions in making it fine tune??

> You should not use TPCv2!!!

> For HA AP SSO, you should be using v7.4.121.0

"

> Load balancing should be disabled

Like Sandeep mentioned, rule if thumb is around 25 clients per ap. This means devices!!! Slowness can come from oversubscribing the AP of the link from the access switch to the core.

To see if your environment is tweaked good enough, go to your PI and look at the maps. Change the AP variable to show both the 5ghz and 2ghz channel and power and then also client association. This will give you a good idea how your environment is.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Community Member

Hi Sandeep / Scott,

thanks for your commnets.

Now that we have decided to move back to 7.4 . Important things which i want to mention before going for this downgrade: Please remember Cisco 5508 is configured for HA mode

***********************************************************************************

Primary Controller : Primary boot image 7.5 , Backup boot Image 7.5

Secondary Controller : Primary boot Image 7.5 , backup boot imag 7.4

************************************************************************************

So , my Plan of action is First to Disable AP SSO on secondary controller via CLI "

config redundancy mode {sso | none} ?? "

and change the boot sequence in secondary controller from 7.5 to 7.4 (from CLI plz verify me command also )

Then need to disable AP SSO from Primary Controller too either from CLI or GUI.and upload 7.4 image into it and later enable AP SSO on both one by one.

but i am just worried that i saw 7.4 too had some bugs please see the below mentioned link:

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCue02707

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCud83441

bug related to called station id .. i need your comments on that ; since now we have 3 ssid's and students can not authenticate with staff or guest and same goes for all , we have done this using radius and configured called station id....so do you think if that bug wll create a problem in that...frankly speaking i dont know if that was resolved or not.

So please comment on above and wish me good luck

Thanks

VIP Purple

Hi,

First of all you must go with 7.4.121.0 version, this is pretty stable version.

both bug which u mentioned is with 7.4.100.0 so you dont have to woory about these.

Check these links, it may helps.

How To Upgrade WLC In HA Setup

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-28053

Important Guidelines before Initiating a WLC Upgrade in HA Setup

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/113681-high-availability-dg-00.html#upgradesteps

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Follow the GUIDELINES when doing this that Sandeep posted... you don't want to end up with two WLC in an active state.  With AP SSO, its recommended to go with either v7.4.110.0 or v7.4.121.0.  The preferred is v7.4.121.0 since many have not had too much issues with that code and does fix some non HA issues on v7.4.110.0 that might not affect you anyway's.

Just remember also, that your alarm:

This is due to the threshold you set on the WLC.... you might have to increase this depending on your environment.  These thresholds are just to alert you when it has reached the limit you have set.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott
Community Member

Hi Waqas,

Upgrade Procedure in HA Setup

Complete these steps:

1. After the WLCs are configured in the HA setup, the Standby WLC cannot be upgraded directly from the TFTP/FTP server.

2. Initiate upgrade on the Active WLC in the HA setup via CLI/GUI, and wait for the upgrade to finish.

3. Once the Active WLC executes all the upgrade scripts, it will transfer the entire image to the Standby WLC via the Redundant Port.

4. When the Standby WLC receives the image from the Active WLC, it will start executing the upgrade scripts. The transfer of the image to standby and the execution of the upgrade scripts on the Standby WLC can be seen on the Active WLC Console/Telnet/SSH/Http connection.

5. After a successful message of Standby Upgrade is observed on the Active WLC, it is important to issue the show boot command on the Active WLC in order to make sure the new image is set as the primary image.

6. Once verified, initiate primary image pre-download on the Active WLC in order to transfer the new image to all the APs in the network.

7. After pre-image is completed on all the APs, issue the show ap image all command in order to verify that the primary image on the WLC is set as the backup image on APs.

8. Initiate swap option to interchange the backup image as primary on the APs. With this implementation, the WLC's and AP's primary image is set to the new image.

9. Issue the reset system in command as per planned outage with the “no swap option” in order to reset the APs and WLCs so that they can boot with the new image.

10. The Standby WLC will reset just one minute before the scheduled reset time to boot and come up first to take over the network with the new image.

11. All the APs will reboot and join the new Active WLC, and the previous Active WLC will transition to the standby role.

12. Issue the show boot, show sysinfo, show ap image all, and show redundancy summary commands in order to verify that both the WLCs and APs have booted with the new image.

Important Guidelines before Initiating a WLC Upgrade in HA Setup

• Service Upgrade is not supported in this release, so network downtime should be planned before you upgrade the WLCs in the HA setup.

• The peer should be in the Hot Standby state before you start the upgrade in the HA setup.

• It is recommended to reboot both the WLCs almost together after upgrade so that there is no software version mismatch.

• Schedule Reset applies to both the WLCs in the HA setup. The peer WLC reboots one minute before the scheduled timer expiry on the Active WLC.

• The Standby WLC can be rebooted from the Active WLC using the reset peer-system command if a scheduled reset is not planned.

• Debug transfer can be enabled on the Active WLC as well as the Standby WLC.

Download/Upload Facts in HA Setup

• No direct download and upload configuration is possible from the Standby WLC.

• All download file types like Image, Configuration, Web-Authentication bundle, and Signature Files will be downloaded on the Active WLC first and then pushed automatically to the Standby WLC.

• Once the configuration file is downloaded on the Active WLC, it is pushed to the Standby WLC. This results in the reset of the Standby WLC first, followed by the reset of the Active WLC.

• The Peer Service Port and Static route configuration is a part of a different XML file, and will not be applied if downloaded as part of the configuration file.

• The download of certificates should be done separately on each box and should be done before pairing.

• Uploading different file types like Configuration, Event Logs, Crash files, and so forth can be done separately from the Standby WLC. However, the CLI to configure different parameters for upload like Server IP, file type, path and name should be done on the Active WLC. Once the upload parameters are configured on the Active WLC, the transfer upload peer-start command should be issued on the Active WLC in order to initiate the upload from the Standby WLC.

• The service port state will be synched from the Active WLC to the Standby WLC. That is, if DHCP is enabled on the Active WLC service port, the Standby WLC will also use DHCP for getting the service port IP address. If the service port of the Active WLC is configured with a Static IP Address, the Standby WLC also needs to be configured with a different Static IP Address. The CLI to configure the IP Address for the Standby WLC service port is configure redundancy interface address peer-service-port . This command should be executed from the Active WLC. Also, in order to configure the route on the Standby WLC for out-of-band management on the service port, issue the configure redundancy peer-route add command from the Active WLC

• Thanks and regrads,
    Manas Pratap Singh
Hall of Fame Super Gold

I have configured TPC and DCA as automatic and using TPCv2

Uh-oh.  You are using TPCv2????

Do you have DENSE AP deployment?  If you don't, put it back to TPCv1.  7 APs in a lecture theatre is not DENSE deployment.  Disable 802.11b data rates from 1 Mbps up to 11 Mbps.  Make 12 Mbps Supported and 18 Mbps as Mandatory.  Make sure you also disable Client Load Balancing.

1) we have leacture theater having seating capacity of 140 students . In that lecture theaters we are using 7*3602 access Points. but students are complaining for slowness in Network.

I manage wireless in >100 schools.  Teachers and staff will never give you the correct picture.  Do this yourself.  Go to those lecture theatres and OBSERVE, TEST and VERIFY for yourselves the issues they are reporting.  In our case, the staffs and students would always say "the wireless network is slow" and when we descend to the site to investigate we find out that the wireless network is working fine but the authentication server is faulty (or AD is not configured correctly), they've entered the wrong credentials in, the machines they are using needed to be re-imaged, drivers are not updated, proxy is miscofigured, etc. 

Check the switchports of the APs and make sure there are no line errors.  Make sure the APs are running at 1 Gbps.

Community Member

Hi Team ( Leo /Scott/Sandeep/Partap),

I have got new updates for you .

First Of all Thanks for your Suggestion regarding the said issue:

Ok since from Forums , i got to know that 7.4.121.0 is much more stable for HA kind of scenario and my current IOS was 7.5 so i have downgraded it to 7.4.121.0 then after downgrade my authentication part was not working. since i am using authentication from Radius for each ssid , i was getting page but it did not worked. when i made it open , it was working fine.Please see the link below on how i am authenticating clients on Radius:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/4154701#4154701

May be its because of this bug below in 7.4 , i am not sure if that was resolved in 7.4.121.0 , please see the link below :

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCud83441

As a backup plan , i had to move back to 7.5 , after which my authentication part via radius is working fine. Today evening we are planning for 7.6 upgrade and will let you know as soon as i am done with this and will come to fine tunning part.

Again Thank you so much for your support specailly Leo ,Scott and Sandeep

Cheers

Thanks

VIP Purple

Today evening we are planning for 7.6 upgrade and will let you know as soon as i am done with this and will come to fine tunning part.

If you are going for 7.6.100.0 read the below thread as well. There are some critical bugs with this code specifically with 3600 AP series (which you are having). I would suggest talk to TAC & get an engineering release of 7.6.x which has fixed those bugs & move onto that code.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/4170265#4170265

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

That bug should be fixed on v7.4.121.0 since it's fixed on v7.4.110.0.

-Scott
Community Member

Thanks Leo,

>>Disable 802.11b data rates from 1 Mbps up to 11 Mbps.  Make 12 Mbps  Supported and 18 Mbps as Mandatory.  Make sure you also disable Client  Load Balancing.

its a good point really , i will do that once i moved to 7.6

>> Do you have DENSE AP deployment?

Yes i  think its a dense AP deployment in Lecture Theaters only. They are little less than a size of cinema and ap's are close to each other with a distance of , you can say 2 meter . And seating capacity is 140 . Please tell me from your technical experince that i should use tpcv1 or v2??

Thanks

Do not use TPCv2.... It's not recommended and will cause issues.

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content