Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco 5508 HA

Hi all,

We recently installed a pair of Cisco 5508 controllers running 7.6.110.0. Right now I don't want to use the 'Redundancy' / 'HA' features, preferring instead to run with an Active/Standby pair controller through the HA tab configured in all APs.

As part of the upgrade to 7.6.110.0 we upgraded the secondary controller first, moved APs over one by one, then upgraded the primary. Right now I am having an issue moving the APs back to the primary. To confirm:

- the mobility group is the same on both devices

- mobility is up

- I am allowing MIC certificates

- AP fallback is enabled

- device names, etc all match as I appreciate there can be issues as this is case sensitive

As far as I was aware that was all that needed to match for this to work. One thing I have noticed however is that if I go into Redundancy -> Global Configuration both the Primary and Seconday are defined as the 'Primary' redundant unit. I've not activated, at least I thought I had not activated, this level of redundancy. Could this be what is causing it? I'm a bit wary of changing this value as I believe the controller will reboot.

Can anybody shed any light on this. The intention was to eventually enable the redundancy and SSO, etc but not right now.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

The setting you initially

The setting you initially have set is really only used when doing N+1 and putting all AP's on a primary WLC. That way on the primary, you set the primary backup as the secondary WLC and in the secondary WLC you leave it blank. The best way is to leave those blank and assign the primary, secondary and tertiary on the high availability tab on each AP. 

Please rate helpful post and Cisco Support Community will donate to Kiva

Scotty

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
21 REPLIES

If you console into the WLC

If you console into the WLC and issue a show redundancy summary, make sure AP SSO is disabled. You shouldn't see anything except the management IP of the primary. 

During the startup wizard, it will ask you want to enable HA, you need to entering 'No' there. 

-Scott

Hi Scott,Thanks for the reply

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply... please see below

(Cisco Controller) >show redundancy summary
Redundancy Mode = SSO DISABLED
Local State = ACTIVE
Peer State = N/A
Unit = Primary
Unit ID = 3C:08:F6:CA:16:00
Redundancy State = N/A
Mobility MAC = 3C:08:F6:CA:16:00

Redundancy Management IP Address................. 0.0.0.0
Peer Redundancy Management IP Address............ 0.0.0.0
Redundancy Port IP Address....................... 0.0.0.0
Peer Redundancy Port IP Address.................. 169.254.0.0

(Cisco Controller) >show redundancy Summary
Redundancy Mode = SSO DISABLED
Local State = ACTIVE
Peer State = N/A
Unit = Primary
Unit ID = 3C:08:F6:CA:13:E0
Redundancy State = N/A
Mobility MAC = 3C:08:F6:CA:13:E0

Redundancy Management IP Address................. 0.0.0.0
Peer Redundancy Management IP Address............ 0.0.0.0
Redundancy Port IP Address....................... 0.0.0.0
Peer Redundancy Port IP Address.................. 169.254.0.0

Okay so AP SSO is disabled.

Okay so AP SSO is disabled. On the Wireless tab under global configuration, make sure your not defining the primary backup on the secondary WLC. I would also change the config on the AP high availability tab and just have the primary WLC and it's IP address and see if the AP moves. 

-Scott

I'm not quite sure what you

I'm not quite sure what you mean regarding the above. In the Wireless -> Global Configuration 'Back-up Primary Controller IP Address' I have defined the Primary WLC and in the 'Back-up Secondary Controller IP Address' I have defined the secondary WLC. This is the same on both controllers. Is this not correct?

No.....Remove those entries

No.....Remove those entries and only put the primary and secondary on each AP.  Each AP has a high availability tab, that's where you should define it. 

-Scott

Ok, I will give that a go.I

Ok, I will give that a go.

I thought the settings configured here were used to influence the configuration of any new APs that join the network? Is that not the case? I appreciate that when an AP boots up, as part of the join process, it will attempt to join any controller that is available. I thought that by having these commands configured here this would dictate which controller the new AP saw as the Primary and Secondary?

The setting you initially

The setting you initially have set is really only used when doing N+1 and putting all AP's on a primary WLC. That way on the primary, you set the primary backup as the secondary WLC and in the secondary WLC you leave it blank. The best way is to leave those blank and assign the primary, secondary and tertiary on the high availability tab on each AP. 

Scotty

-Scott

Understood, thanks :)

Understood, thanks :)

Let us know if that does help

Let us know if that does help the AP fallback to the primary. Just curious if there is something else that is not allowing it to move over. 

Scotty

-Scott

Hi,I removed these settings

Hi,

I removed these settings but am still getting the same error. I can't move the APs between the two controllers by adjusting the Primary/Secondary controller Names/IPs

I've checked the mobility it all matches and is up between the two. Names and IPs check out. Fallback is enabled. I've removed the config from the global settings.

Anything else I should check?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

When you typed in the names

When you typed in the names of the WLC, they are very CASE-SENSITIVE.  

Hi Leo,Understood, I've

Hi Leo,

Understood, I've verified this though and the names are exactly the same

Hi Leo, ScottSo I was doing a

Hi Leo, Scott

So I was doing a bit more reading on this http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/69639-wlc-failover.html it is an old document but working through it the document suggested that you didn't need to specify the IP address of the Primary or Secondary controller in the Wireless -> All AP -> AP_NAME -> High Availability. I removed this from one of the APs that was at the time serving no clients and tried to move it to the secondary and it worked. I then moved it back to the primary and it worked again.

Any reason why this would happen? The IP addresses I was using were 100% correct. The only difference I see for this controller as opposed to others we manage is the introduction of new interface types i.e. 'redundancy management' , 'redundancy port' ,etc. I do not have redundancy enabled so I'm guessing not, but having trawled through the configuration this is the only difference I can see?

I would add the primary,

I would add the primary, secondary and or tertiary to the AP High Availability.... this is how it works well and always should be done.

Scotty

-Scott

That is what I had done, the

That is what I had done, the only additional configuration I had added was the management IP of the Primary and Secondary. What I was looking for, if possible, was an explanation as to why even when specifying the correct IP address of both the Primary and Secondary management interfaces that the APs would not move between the controllers. On a pair of controllers I have running 7.2.115.2 in all AP 'High Availability' tab configurations I have specified the name and IP address of both the Primary and Secondary controller and can move APs between the two with no issue. This I cannot do on the controllers running 7.6.110.0 unless I remove the management IP configuration and just specify the name. I'd just like to understand why technically this does not work as it has had me stuck for two days now.

EDIT: so the IP address is only required for controllers outside of the mobility group, hence there being no need to specify these IP addresses. I think this is the explanation for this?

Best practice is to enter the

Best practice is to enter the WLC hostname, which is case sensitive and also putting the ip address of the WLC's.  Don't just put the ip address or just the hostname, as that is not how this should be entered on the AP.

Scotty

-Scott

Understood, but in my example

Understood, but in my example removing the IP address of the Primary and Secondary controller is the only way I can get the AP to move between controllers. If I do include the IP I get the error message that I included as part of the original post. The fact that an error is being shown when I include the IP to me suggests that the controller is not happy with the address I am trying to use, however the address I am trying to use is the actual IP address of the 'management' interface. I've verified this on both controllers and they match exactly but for the last octet which is the actual address .4 and .6

In 7.6.110.0 does the controller try to use the 'redundancy management' or 'redundant port' even if redundancy is not enabled? I'm struggling to understand what is causing this now as I can't see any issue with the configuration I have in place.

The redundancy port and

The redundancy port and configuration is not used at all. Have you tried to delete the entries and then try to add it back?  Have you tried also from the WLC CLI?

Scotty

-Scott

One on of the APs I reset the

On one of the APs I reset the configuration and let it join the controller again. I then entered the exact same details again (name and IP - cut and paste from Notepad and taken from the configuration prior to the reset) and for some reason this worked? Not quite sure how to explain this, but it is now working. Thanks for your help.

You will run into these now

You will run into these now and then and there are various ways to make it work. Defaulting the AP, erase the nvram, uploading the RCV image. Just depends what works for you. Glad you got it working. 

-Scott

Hi,I removed these settings

Hi,

I removed these settings but am still getting the same error. I can't move the APs between the two controllers by adjusting the Primary/Secondary controller Names/IPs

I've checked the mobility it all matches and is up between the two. Names and IPs check out. Fallback is enabled. I've removed the config from the global settings.

Anything else I should check?

Views
Helpful
Replies