Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cisco 5760 Client Connectivity Questions

Hi,

We have a network which is routed completely.

We have cisco 6500 switches and we have cisco 5760 WLC.

We have a situation where in the wireless user vlan is on the WLC (i.e vlan 5 for floor 5 , vlan 6 for floor 6) and we have the ssid's mapped to them.

The Problem is the link between the core and the wireless controller is a trunk port without vlans tagged on it

The config looks like

interface tengig 1/0/5

switchport

switchport mode trunk

So its basically vlan 1 passing across and i am able to reach mgmt ip address from core to WLC and Vice versa.

Will the client traffic be routed if we dont have them defined on the trunk port and if the gateway for the wireless clients are on the wlc

Do we need to the vlans tagged on the core and the WLC to make them work ?

3 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: Cisco 5760 Client Connectivity Questions

HI Sripathy,

Configure like this and try:

Controllers typically map WLANs to VLANs. When configuring a switch port to a controller, you would set the port to support

802.1Q ( switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q ), then set the port to trunk ( switchport mode trunk ) and only allow the VLANs

needed by the controller.

The switch port is configured as an IEEE 802.1Q trunk and only the appropriate VLANs

This is an example 802.1Q switch port configuration:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1

description Trunk Port to Cisco WLC

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,2,3

switchport mode trunk

no shutdown

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts.

Cisco Employee

You must allow vlan 5 and 6 as well for the data traffic to pass.

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,5,6

Hall of Fame Super Gold

We have a situation where in the wireless user vlan is on the WLC (i.e vlan 5 for floor 5 , vlan 6 for floor 6) and we have the ssid's mapped to them.

Maybe it's me, but this statement is confusing. 

Are you saying that you've segmented SSIDs based on your floor?  If this is the case, I have no idea what you are trying to achieve but it won't work. 

The wireless client decides what APs to join (and what SSID to join).  If a wireless client has all the SSIDs configured in it's system, you will not be guaranteed that the wireless client on floor 5 will join the SSID for floor 5.  Instead, you just might see the client either join an SSID in floor 4 or 6.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content