Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Access point management vlan

Random44F
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, 

I have  all my switches configured to run on native vlan 500 and management on vlan 10 

with the cisco access point , if I make 500 native or another word trunk untagged vlan then I can't access the router using the BVI interface which is meant to have ip from vlan 10.

vlan 10 is the management network across our business and all management ips are on that range.

what are the possible solutions?

2 Replies 2

Hi,

Switch config:

Configure the switchport that AP is connected as trunk and native vlan10.

Access Point config:

Same native vlan10

int gi0.10 or int fa0.10

encapsulation dot1q 10 native

bridge-group1

Configure bvi1 interface with an ip from vlan10 range.

Hope this helps,

Regards

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When you connect the access point to the wired LAN, the access point links to the network using a bridge virtual interface (BVI) that it creates automatically. Instead of tracking separate IP addresses for the access point's Ethernet and radio ports, the network uses the BVI.

When you assign an IP address to the access point using the CLI, you must assign the address to the BVI. Beginning in privileged EXEC mode, follow these steps to assign an IP address to the access point's BVI:

Step 1 

configure terminal

Enter global configuration mode.

Step 2 

interface bvi1

Enter interface configuration mode for the BVI.

Step 3 

ip address address
mask

Assign an IP address and address mask to the BVI.

Note If you are connected to the access point using a Telnet session, you lose your connection to the access point when you assign a new IP address to the BVI. If you need to continue configuring the access point using Telnet, use the new IP address to open another Telnet session to the access point.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card