Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Cisco AIR-CAP27021-E-K9

Hello everyone,

I have 2x Cisco 2702 AP's and I need to place them in autonomous mode so that we can set them up as we'd like to. (They'll be the AP's for our new internal wireless network). I'm brand new to any of this, so please bare with me. 

I have connected to the AP via console cable (using a serial to USB adapter). I am connecting using PUTTY, and I can see the AP. I have held down the mode button for 30 seconds until it states "waiting to be released". Once released, the LED turns red and i get the following appear: 

"%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/ap3g2-k9w7-tar.default (connection timed out)

ap:"

What does this error mean please, and is there an idiots guide to placing the device in autonomous mode anywhere please?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Scott

Everyone's tags (1)
12 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Hi

Hi

You need to go to rommon on the AP and configure these steps, If Im not wrong that error message is related to lightweight image, you need to go via rommon resetting the AP (pressing the button for around 30 seconds)

set IP_ADDR 192.168.0.2
set NETMASK 255.255.255.0
set DEFAULT_ROUTER 192.168.0.1
tftp_init
ether_init
flash_init
tar -xtract tftp://<TFTP_svr>/<Path_to_tar> flash:
set BOOT flash:/<image_directory>/<image_name>
set MANUAL_BOOT no
set
boot

other way to go to rommon is configure this into the lightweight IOS:

debug capwap con cli
conf t
boot manual
reload

I have used that before and it works like a charm, hope it is useful.

:-)

Community Member

Hi Julio,

Hi Julio,

Thanks for the reply. I'm a complete newbie at this. How do I do that please?

VIP Purple

Hi Scott,

Hi Scott,

There are 2 ways to go to rommon:

1) Configure these steps on the current lightweight IOS:

debug capwap con cli
conf t
boot manual
reload

2) Unplug power supply, plug power supply and immediately to begin pressing the reset button during 30 seconds.

* Your PC must be connected to the AP via Ethernet port using an IP of the same range like configured on the AP and enabled the TFTP with the image to transfer.

You could try and keep me posted

This video also can be useful, there are like 3 ways to convert from CAPWAP to Autonomous, but the steps shared previously works perfectly for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdYTxgEcpTc

:-)

Community Member

Hi Julio,

Hi Julio,

Whenever I type these commands, I just keep getting "Unknown cmd: debug". I've attached a screenshot.

Thanks,

VIP Purple

Ok, Try unplug the power

Ok, Try unplug the power cable, plug the power cable again and press the reset button immediately for around 30 sec, you will see the led changing colors.  

Community Member

Yep, I've done this twice,

Yep, I've done this twice, and it still comes through to the previously attached screen. When I type a "?" it does show what commands are available to me a this time, which means I'm at least successfully talking to the AP.

VIP Purple

Try to keep pressing the

Try to keep pressing the reset (mode) button for 1 minute, I remember the led color must be in red. 

other link:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11607246/converting-capwap-ap-antonious

VIP Purple

Hi Scott

Hi Scott

I saw, apologies my fault. if Im not wrong AP: is already rommon, so you can proceed to configure the parameters:

set IP_ADDR 192.168.0.2
set NETMASK 255.255.255.0
set DEFAULT_ROUTER 192.168.0.1
tftp_init
ether_init
flash_init
tar -xtract tftp://<TFTP_svr>/<Path_to_tar> flash:
set BOOT flash:/<image_directory>/<image_name>
set MANUAL_BOOT no
set
boot

Community Member

Hi Julio,

Hi Julio,

Thanks for that.The commands that you've listed show .tar flies and an image. What image is needed please, and where can I find the .tar files please? (Sorry, I'm a complete novice at this!)

Thanks

VIP Purple

Hi Scott,

Hi Scott,

If you have contract with Cisco you can download the IOS from the following link for the AP 2702-E

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=286256842&softwareid=284180979&release=15.3.3-JE&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=ED&reltype=latest

Community Member

Thank you Julio, but we don't

Thank you Julio, but we don't have one I'm afraid. I can't help but think I've been given an impossible job!

VIP Purple

Hi,

Hi,

Yes you need to have a contract or if you have bought a Smartnet plan for this device, you could ask to your vendor. 

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content