Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco AIR-LAP1041N-E-K9 with WLC 2504

Hi All,

i have a question regarding regulatory domain -E-

is this regulatory domain force the wireless lan controller or even autonomous access points to work in certain band b/g or a 

i mean if i use Cisco AIR-LAP1041N-E-K9, is this mean that i only can make this access points work in b/g 2.4GHz ??

i have some  Cisco AIR-LAP1041N-E-K9 and can't make them work in N-802.11a 5GHz

is the regulatory domain mean that i only work in N speed (802.11b/g 2.4GHz) and in another regulatory domain i work only in N speed (802.11a 5GHz)??

• Getting Started with Wireless
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Cisco AIR-LAP1041N-E-K9 with WLC 2504

The regulatory domain dictates what channel and power the ap has available to it. So if you have an ap that has certain restriction due to the regulatory domain is is manufactured for, then you will only be allowed to use the channel and power it's built for. When you have multiple country codes defined in the WLC, then the WLC will use the channels and power level that all the country codes defined have in common. So if you have a country code defined on the WLC that restricts 5ghz, then any AP that is joined to that WLC will not have 5ghz available to it.

Remember, the WLC will use the common channel and power levels and this can't be changed. Typically you would have one WLC per regulatory domain to not be restricted.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

It is hard wares based and the radios are manufactured for that regulatory domain.

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
15 REPLIES

The regulatory domain dictates what channel and power the ap has available to it. So if you have an ap that has certain restriction due to the regulatory domain is is manufactured for, then you will only be allowed to use the channel and power it's built for. When you have multiple country codes defined in the WLC, then the WLC will use the channels and power level that all the country codes defined have in common. So if you have a country code defined on the WLC that restricts 5ghz, then any AP that is joined to that WLC will not have 5ghz available to it.

Remember, the WLC will use the common channel and power levels and this can't be changed. Typically you would have one WLC per regulatory domain to not be restricted.

As usual u r da man , many thanks 4 ur fast n prompt answer

another question here is this regulatory domain somthing related to software or hardware i mean if i change the IOS can this convert the regulatory domain from one to another???

and so i can't use 300 mbps that N speed support because if i need to work in this speed i must enable 802.11a 5GHz which not applicable Cisco AIR-LAP1041N-E-K9 ,am i right ??

how can i check what domains or bands the controller or AP  support , from CLI or GUI or just part number ?

It is hard wares based and the radios are manufactured for that regulatory domain.

If you telnet or ssh to your LAP, you can issue:

show controllers dot11Radio 0

show controllers dot11Radio 1

This will show you the allowed power and channels

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

Onthe WLC when you have multiple country codes configured, you can issue:

show country supported

show country supported tx-power

show country channels

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

Hi Scott

So i can't use 300 mbps due to the regulatory domain restrictions i only can go up 144 mbps with N technology ??

is there any documents mention the regulatory domain restrictions and what are the working bands in each domain? _not which country have which regulatory domain , i already have this document_

for ref. here under the Wireless LAN Compliance Status

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5679/ps5861/product_data_sheet0900aecd80537b6a_ps6087_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Scott i have no word to u

On Cisco equipment, you can only achieve 144mbps on the 2.4ghz and up to 300mbps on the 5ghz (if your allowed).  To get up to 300mbps, you need to be able to bond two channels and that means, only in the 5ghz can you bond two channels.  This would mean each spatial stream would give you theoretically 150mbps and having bonded channels on the 5ghz (40mhz channel width), you are essentially doubling the bandwidth.  144mbps is max what you should see on clients when only using a signe channel of 20mhz channel width.

Thanks,

Scott

Hi scott ,

Thanks for ur patience and ur answer

but am already know this from ur posts but i need to know if my system is able to work up 300 mbps or i only stuck to 144 mbps due to regualtory domain -E- _is this what u mean by " if you allowed"

i have all my access points AIR-LAP1041N-E-K9 working with WLC 2504, am i able to make them work in 300 mbps speed??

another case i have the same access points working in autonomous mode but when i enable the N-802.11a 5Ghz this do nothing , can't be saved only 802.11 2.4GHz can be enabled

I don't know your reglatory domain as I'm in the US and really only dealt with Americas as a reglatory domain.  If where you are at, you can use the 5ghz, I'm guessing you can, make sure you set the channel width to 40mhz.

Thanks,

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies