Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cisco AIR-SAP702I-A-K9 Connectivity issues

Hi everyone!

My company has recently decided to start using the AIR-SAP702I-A-K9 access point (currently autonomous) for some new office build-outs. We used to use 1142's. Our setup is pretty simple each office gets 2 SSID's one private network and one public network. 

While deploying a 702i this past week I had issues with users on Windows 7/8 staying connected and reconnecting. They would either fail before connecting to the access point or try to quickly reconnect after disconnecting and it would also fail. Macs and iPhones connected no problems. I would like to use the same config I've used in previous offices so users don't have to connect to a new SSID and have to enter new credentials.

So, a few questions please:

1) I don't have a wireless controller built out yet so is what I am trying to accomplish possible? One SSID, multiple geographically separate locations each with it's own subnet.

2) Do the 702i's have a particular amount of time you have to wait before you can reconnect? If so, can I adjust this?

3) Any idea why my Windows 7/8 users would be having issues connecting to this?

I'm sorry if this is vague, I can try to be more specific if anyone has any ideas. Also, attached is a copy of my current config. Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Purple

Hi Tom,Is it possible to test

Hi Tom,

Is it possible to test with WPA2/AES instead of WPA/TKIP

authentication key-management wpa version2

Then under Radio interfaces

no encryption vlan 100 mode ciphers tkip

encryption vlan 100 mode ciphers aes-ccm

Note: If you have very old wireless client it may not support WPA2/AES, but give it a try first & see what's the behavior.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

5 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Hi Tom,Is it possible to test

Hi Tom,

Is it possible to test with WPA2/AES instead of WPA/TKIP

authentication key-management wpa version2

Then under Radio interfaces

no encryption vlan 100 mode ciphers tkip

encryption vlan 100 mode ciphers aes-ccm

Note: If you have very old wireless client it may not support WPA2/AES, but give it a try first & see what's the behavior.

HTH

Rasika

Hey Rasika,I can try that out

Hey Rasika,

I can try that out tomorrow and see if it's any better. Would the authentication type really make a difference in this situation?

Thanks for the response,

Tom

VIP Purple

Hi Tom,Yes.  You should move

Hi Tom,

Yes.  You should move away from TKIP due to below reasons

1. If you want to get 802.11n data rates you have to use AES (if you use TKIP your data rate limited to 54Mbps even your AP & client all supported 802.11n)

2. TKIP is not a strong secure method now a days, but AES.

So all newer devices support AES, not sure about TKIP, so it is a good to test it & see 

HTH

Rasika

Hi Rasika!So far so good.

Hi Rasika!

So far so good. Changed the AP over to WPA2 AES and the connection is almost instant and reconnection is not resulting in an error. I'll be sure to message back if this is a problem but it looks good.

Is there a good place to read about this subject and the differences in how encryption affects one's ability to connect to a Cisco AP? Maybe I should pursue a CCNA wireless next :)

Thanks again and take care,

Tom

VIP Purple

That's good to hear Tom

That's good to hear Tom.

Always try to use WPA2/AES when possible (unless you have legacy client which do not support) as it is most secure & recommended auth/encryption used in wireless today.

Here are some post about 802.11 encryption methods (WEP, TKIP & CCMP) if you are interest

1. http://mrncciew.com/2014/08/19/cwsp-legacy-802-11-securiry/
2. http://mrncciew.com/2014/09/13/cwsp-tkip-encryption-method/
3. http://mrncciew.com/2014/08/19/cwsp-ccmp-encryption-method/

Yes, start learning wireless & CCNA wireless would be a good starting point

HTH

Rasika

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content