Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco AIR-WLC2125-K9 Access Point Question

Hello,

I have 18 APs that have been working more or less properly. I have room for 7 more on this controller wich leaves me plenty of room to grow at this point in time. My question is if I were to need to upgrade my access points to something that did 802.11ac would I be able to so without upgrading my controller? I belive that the current performance of the 802.11a/g LAP1242AG-A-K9 leaves something to be desired. If there is not anything I can do with my current setup in that respect what would be some suggestions to imprvoe the performance of my access points? I am using the standard AIR-ANT1728 High Gain Omnidirectional antennas currently and have some panel antennas on order for 2 of the outdoor locations.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

12 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: Cisco AIR-WLC2125-K9 Access Point Question

Hi Jeff,

At the moment to support 802.11ac you should have a 5508 WLC running with software code 7.5.102.0 minimum. Therefore you have to upgrade (replacement of hardware) your entire wirelss system (WLC & AP) to do this. Your 2125 only support upto software version 7.0.x & cannot be used for any new AP models like 3600,2600 & 1600.

Currently you can use 3600 series with additional AC module. There is a new model 3700 series to be expected to come to market which is in built 802.11ac on it.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hall of Fame Super Gold

If you want to run 802.11ac you'll need to overhaul your network, wired and wireless.  Let me explain:

What is the maximum speed of 802.11n?  Potentially, between 300 to 450 mbps.  So if your AP has a GigabitEthernet connection to the switch and to the WLC, it's OK, right?

What about 802.11ac?  What is the maximum speed?  A single 802.11ac client can, potentially, overwhelm a single GigabitEthernet link.  Currently, there's not a lot of 802.11ac clients which can really push full-rate 802.11ac, except Apple's Macbook Pro (?).

Sorry, I got sidetrack.  Where was I?  Oh ... So why do you need to overhaul your wired network?  Wireless traffic from the client to the AP is encapsulated.  The best way to push >1 Gbps traffic from the client out (and up) to the controller is to strip these encapsulation.  And where do you get to do that?  The best place is the switch where the AP is directly-connected to.  Cisco has these in place.  They are the 3850 and the Sup8.  Before the end of this year, Cisco will be releasing another switch, the 3650.  The 3850 has the same price as the 3750X and the 3650 has the same price as the 3560X.

My opinion is this:  Wait until the 3700 gets released (around December 2013) and then consider your option.

Will the 3600 (with 802.11ac module) and/or 3700 work without overhauling your wired network?  Yes and no.  Yes, you'll see 802.11ac work but how efficiently, I'm not sure. 

Thank youn so much for the information. I appreciate the discussion. Do you have any comments on my selection of antenna? I was wondering if there was something else I should be using? A professional site survey was done before I started my job here and I assumed that they were correct in thier assesment. I use Intermec CK71 scanners runnning a VT100 Emulation program so the connections are not service intensive. There is not a great amoutn of data going over the 802.11g connections. I guess all I can do is optomize coverage areas with the APs and controller I have until I get budget to update. Any antenna suggestions besides the one I listed?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hall of Fame Super Gold

AIR-ANT1728

How high will the antenna be installed?

When you upgrade to 802.11ac, you will not be able to use this antenna because this antenna is only a 2.4 Ghz and will not be compatible with 802.11ac (5 Ghz).

Roughly 15-20 feet with some applications requiring panels for outdoor wide beam converage. Basically the antenna model I have listed is covering an area where there are a lot of steel coils in a warehouse. The APs are mounted either on a pole or ceiling rafter and have PoE from a Netgear 728TP 10/100 switch. I have considered putting APs on the roof and using different antennas to cover more areas.

Note: There are no connections requiring site-to-site links between buildings. Take the picture below for example. There

There are no buildings behind me and if there were to be an antenna on the building it would need to cover the whole conecrete covered surface. Some stacks of coils can be as high as the white covered ones. The distance from myself to the bulding in this picture is roughly 230 feet and the width of the concrete pad would be 75-100 feet.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Oh cr@p.  STEEL! 

Yes a reflective nightmare to say the least but I have been doing well so far. I just need to cover the area here in the picture. You should see inside! Omni directionals are working for inside ok I guess but it could be better. I do not know that I can up the transmit power on my APs either. Maybe I do not want to because of signal stability anyway. In any case the most urgent thing for me now is covering this area in the picture. Do you think a Yagi would be the best for this or a panel based solution? The AP will be mounted near the roof on the inside of the building in the photo. Likely at or above the white stripe on the building.

Jeff

Hall of Fame Super Gold

I do not know that I can up the transmit power on my APs either. 

Not recommended (and a waste of time) because the Intermec doesn't have enough power to respond.

Do you think a Yagi would be the best for this or a panel based solution?

Yagi will work.  Make sure the antenna is pointing towards the floor.  You may need to put more AP to provide more coverage.  But that means that you'll have channel-interferrence.   Do you have any WLC?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

VIP Purple

Good to see this AP model out in the market. Eventhough it says supports upto  1.3Gbps, effective thorughput is limited to 1G as it has single 10/100/1000 ethernet port.

Eager to get one & test performance. Is it available to purhase ?

Rasika

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Is it available to purhase ?

No price yet with the Configurator Tool but I'm sure the price will be out in the next few days.

The main question is the firmware, version 7.6.

VIP Purple

I think AireOS 7.6 & IOS-XE 3.3.x (parity with AireOS 7.4) is coming out this month.... Now there is a reason to release 7.6 soon.

Views
Helpful
Replies