Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Aironet 1100 AP - SNMP - Associated Clients

mikaelsyska
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm been trying everything and searched the net for this without any luck this time. I found it a few years back, but now I can't.

I want to make some graph with http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/ that list how many clients that are connected.

I know this is possible with SNMP, but I how no clue where to find it. I know I need the OID for this. The MIBS should not be required since as I understand it, these only translate the OID's to human readable names. Well, this could actually make it easier to find but I can't find them either.

If more information is needed, please let me know. This is really making me crazy.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mikael,

The community string cisco is arbitrary and you could make it whatever you want. It was the view definition and application of that view to your public string that were limiting what you could pull out of the MIB tree on the AP:

• snmp-server view dot11view ieee802dot11 included

This configuration line defines a new view called "dot11view" and restricts that view to only the OIDs within the ieee802dot11 branch of the MIB tree. The included keyword is inclusionary and means this view excludes everything in the tree except what's in the ieee802dot11 branch.

• snmp-server community public view dot11view RO

This configuration line defines a new community string called public but limits its view to the dot11view, which we created above.

• snmp-server community cisco RO

This configuration line defines a new community string called cisco. Without a view applied it is unrestricted and if we call it we can see anything in the AP's MIB tree that we ask for.

Using the SNMP Object Navigator, I see that ieee802dot11 has OID 1.2.840.10036

The OID that you are trying to get to, cDot11ActiveWirelessClients, has a value of 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.273.1.1.2.1.1, which is not a subset of the 1.2.840.10036 tree.

So when you use your snmpwalker tool with the public string as it is currently defined with the dot11view, you are going to get denied to anything but the ieee802dot11 part of the MIB tree.

Please mark this question as answered to help future searchers. Thanks!

Justin

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

mikaelsyska
Level 1
Level 1

Haven't found any solution yet. So if any one ever finds one, I will be very happy to hear about it.

mvh

Mikael,

Autonomous AP or controller? Version?

Justin

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

We got 4 AP's (Guess we can call them Autonomous AP, if thats the correct term) which are doing RADIUS Auth to our firewall with has FreeRADIUS installed.

They are certainly not controlled anything. If I need to change any setting, I need to do it manually on all of them. I can live with that.

I'm not sure what you mean about "version" ... do you mean firmware version?

mvh

Mikael,

Do a show version at your AP command line and please post the output here.

Justin

ap30#show version

Cisco IOS Software, C1100 Software (C1100-K9W7-M), Version 12.3(8)JED, RELEASE S                                   OFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2009 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Fri 18-Sep-09 10:28 by tinhuang

ROM: Bootstrap program is C1100 boot loader

BOOTLDR: C1100 Boot Loader (C1100-BOOT-M) Version 12.3(2)JA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (                                   fc1)

ap30 uptime is 3 weeks, 5 days, 6 hours, 17 minutes

System returned to ROM by power-on

System restarted at 14:59:16 +0100 Wed Jan 25 2012

System image file is "flash:/c1100-k9w7-mx.123-8.JED/c1100-k9w7-mx.123-8.JED"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United

States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and

use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply

third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.

Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for

compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you

agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable

to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:

http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to

export@cisco.com.

cisco AIR-AP1121G-E-K9     (PowerPCElvis) processor (revision A0) with 15138K/1236K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FOC12022Q3W

PowerPCElvis CPU at 197Mhz, revision number 0x0950

Last reset from power-on

1 FastEthernet interface

1 802.11 Radio(s)

32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.

Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:1E:F7:6E:4F:2A

Part Number                          : 73-7886-12

PCA Assembly Number                  : 800-21481-11

PCA Revision Number                  : A0

PCB Serial Number                    : FOC12022Q3W

Top Assembly Part Number             : 800-28711-02

Top Assembly Serial Number           : FCZ1205V11T

Top Revision Number                  : A0

Product/Model Number                 : AIR-AP1121G-E-K9

Configuration register is 0xF

Mikael,

It looks like the relevant MIB file (should you decide to use it) is CISCO-DOT11-ASSOCIATION-MIB

This is the MIB object:

cDot11ActiveWirelessClients OBJECT-TYPE
        SYNTAX     Gauge32 (0..2007)
        UNITS      "Device" 
        MAX-ACCESS read-only
        STATUS     current
        DESCRIPTION                 "This is the number of wireless clients 
                currently associating with this device on this
                interface.
"
        ::= { cDot11ActiveDevicesEntry 1 }

Using the Cisco SNMP Object Navigator, this object name produces the following OID and related info:

Specific Object Information
ObjectcDot11ActiveWirelessClients
OID1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.273.1.1.2.1.1
UnitsDevice
Range0 - 2007
MIBCISCO-DOT11-ASSOCIATION-MIB ;   -   View Supporting Imagesthis link will generate a new windowhttp://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseOID.do?objectInput=cDot11ActiveWirelessClients&translate=Translate&submitValue=SUBMIT
Description"This is the number of wireless clients
currently associating with this device on this
interface."

The SNMP Object Navigator is an excellent tool for browsing MIBs, finding and downloading MIBs relevant to your platform or image, and doing objectName-to-OID or OID-to-objectName lookups.

Justin

This is getting closer, but the problem might be another place.

When doing:

[syska@freebsd /home/syska]> snmpwalk -v 1 -c public 172.17.4.30 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.273.1.1.2.1.1

End of MIB

The above fails with the following: "End of MIB"

I guess I don't have to download the MIBs, just to do a lookup with the OID since it returns a integer. ( But I could be wrong here )

Now I'm just wondering if I have disabled something on the AP ... not sure what since I can query some basic information with snmpwalk.

I REALLY appreciate your help. This will be awesome if I get it working.

blakekrone
Level 4
Level 4

try -v 2c instead of -v 1

Some mibs are only available via snmp v2 or greater

Was just about to post it with 2c but saw a mail about your post blakekrone ... but almost same problem.

Using version 2c

[syska@freebsd /home/syska]> snmpwalk -v 2c -c public 172.17.4.30 .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.273.1.1.2.1.1

SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.9.273.1.1.2.1.1 = No more variables left in this MIB View (It is past the end of the MIB tree)

I also just tried to "Reset to Defaults" ... no luck.

Can this be some kind of "bad/wrong/old/faulty" firmware on the AP's ?

System Software Filename:c1100-k9w7-tar.123-8.JED
System Software Version:12.3(8)JED
Bootloader Version:12.3(2)JA4

mvh

Mikael,

Make sure you have SNMP v2 enabled on your AP, too.

Run these two commands and post output, please (remember to sanitize community names):

# show snmp host

# show run | include snmp

Justin

Hi,

When typing the following:

ap30#show snmp host

There is a empty line above after the command ... odd maybe, not sure.

ap30#show run | include snmp

snmp-server view dot11view ieee802dot11 included

snmp-server community public view dot11view RO

snmp-server location loc

snmp-server contact con

ap30#

The above information don't tell me much, but maybe they do to you :-) cross my fingers for that.

I know that had been working sometime in the past. Not sure if it was on these firmware versions we are running now.

mvh

Mikael,

It looks like the browsable MIBS are restricted to a view. Try adding this line for testing:

(config)# snmp-server community cisco ro

After you add the above config, again try your snmpwalker utility, this time using "cisco" as the community string and see if you can hit the OID without the "end of mib" error.

Justin

Hi Justin,

HOLY crap ... it works.

I'm no expert on snmp, but howcome the information is not availble for the "public" community? is in some built-in restriction on that name?

I have used HOURS on that, and the fix is so simple. I think I even have used that OID before, but got that error and well, thought it was wrong because of the error I got.

Thanks ... this saved my day.

Mikael,

The community string cisco is arbitrary and you could make it whatever you want. It was the view definition and application of that view to your public string that were limiting what you could pull out of the MIB tree on the AP:

• snmp-server view dot11view ieee802dot11 included

This configuration line defines a new view called "dot11view" and restricts that view to only the OIDs within the ieee802dot11 branch of the MIB tree. The included keyword is inclusionary and means this view excludes everything in the tree except what's in the ieee802dot11 branch.

• snmp-server community public view dot11view RO

This configuration line defines a new community string called public but limits its view to the dot11view, which we created above.

• snmp-server community cisco RO

This configuration line defines a new community string called cisco. Without a view applied it is unrestricted and if we call it we can see anything in the AP's MIB tree that we ask for.

Using the SNMP Object Navigator, I see that ieee802dot11 has OID 1.2.840.10036

The OID that you are trying to get to, cDot11ActiveWirelessClients, has a value of 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.273.1.1.2.1.1, which is not a subset of the 1.2.840.10036 tree.

So when you use your snmpwalker tool with the public string as it is currently defined with the dot11view, you are going to get denied to anything but the ieee802dot11 part of the MIB tree.

Please mark this question as answered to help future searchers. Thanks!

Justin

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card