Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Users might experience few discrepancies in Search results. We are working on this on our side. We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

Cisco Aironet 1131AG access points and measurement of wireless signal strength?

We have about forty Cisco Aironet 1131AG access points set on four floors and they all have static ip address (BVI1) on the same SSID, clients will be on its own Vlan (dhcp on 3750 switch) and they are using multiple channels (1,6,11).  Cisco Wireless Control System is not yet delivered. This wireless network should support roaming for clients (there will be wireless notebooks and multiple AeroScout's Wi-Fi Tags). We must measure wireless signal strenght and wireless coverage on each floor. My questions are:

1. How to measure wireless signal strength: we must satisfy at least three available APs with excellent signal (I suppose for WCS needs who will determine client position in the building)? We thought about using NetStumbler and a few notebooks with wifi and measure as many spots as we can as simpliest thing. Or do we have to use something like Cisco Aironet Client adapters for our notebook and then use Cisco Aironet Client Utility (is it worth of buying it for our analysis and measurement)? Any other idea?
  2. What signal level should we consider for a good wireless link (dBm)?
  3. What should we propose for Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting management? What for wireless roaming? I don't quiteunderstand WCS, WDS and WLC-what should we use for above tasks?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Cisco Aironet 1131AG access points and measurement of wirele

Use the command on the AP "sh dot11 associations" will give you clients which have successfully associated.  If you add the client MAC address at the end of the command you'll get a detailed information.  Look under "Signal Strength" and "Signal to Noise".  Under Signal Strength you want a value of -75 dBm or lower (lower values the better).  -76 dBm and up is bad.  Under Signal to Noise, you want a value of 25 dBm or higher (higher values the better).

For measuring signal strength I use Airmagnet but you can use Netstumbler or Cisco Wireless Site Survey.

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Cisco Aironet 1131AG access points and measurement of wirele

Use the command on the AP "sh dot11 associations" will give you clients which have successfully associated.  If you add the client MAC address at the end of the command you'll get a detailed information.  Look under "Signal Strength" and "Signal to Noise".  Under Signal Strength you want a value of -75 dBm or lower (lower values the better).  -76 dBm and up is bad.  Under Signal to Noise, you want a value of 25 dBm or higher (higher values the better).

For measuring signal strength I use Airmagnet but you can use Netstumbler or Cisco Wireless Site Survey.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content