cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Aironet 1200 LAP Issues - LAP to Autonomous Mode

jkowalke75
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings! After purchasing 4 of the Cisco Aironet 1200 G Series WAPs, I'm now running into a slight issue with them.

I received these last week with the understanding that if I didn't have the Cisco controller device, I could convert them from being the Lightweight Access Point, back to Autonomous mode with an IOS.

With this, I checked the documentation that came with the device and found the "Upgrading Autonomous Cisco Aironet Access Points to Lightweight Mode" or http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Wireless%20-%20Mobility&topic=Getting%20Started%20with%20Wireless&needs_authentication=yes&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dadd_discussion%26mode%3Dshow%26needs_authentication%3Dyes%26location%3D.ee7....

From there, I followed the instructions listed under Converting a Lightweight Access Point Back to Autonomous Mode. Before the rename of the file, I checked the device and found AIR-LAP1242G-A-K9 for the Model No.

One of the Cisco Certified admins here was able to obtain the latest build for the IOS for the device or c1240-k9w7-tar.123-8.JEB1.tar. Per the instructions, I renamed the file to coincide with the model of the device.

I followed the instructions from there, and it looked as if everything was going well. However, after the upgrade, I'm running into an issue with the following:

File "flash:/c1200-k9w7-mx.123-8.JEB1/c1200-k9w7-mx.123-8.JEB1" uncompressed and installed, entry point: 0x3000

executing...

At this point, the device just locks up. All lights are lit green on the device. According do the documentation, it should reboot and from there, I should be able to access the web interface by IP.

I've tried to perform the upgrade again using the same IOS build, but the same thing happens with the lock up.

At this point, I'm assuming the issue is with the build of the IOS that I have and I may have to look at getting an older build. However, before doing so, I thought I would post something here to see if anyone had an idea.

I may have needed to refine my searching of the forums, but wasn't able to find anything in relation to my issue. If there is something out there, I do apologize for the post and will happily refer to any current information.

If you need any further information in relation to this, please let me know. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

4 Replies 4

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jeffrey,

Reverting the Access Point Back to Autonomous Mode

Have a look at Step 3

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_technical_reference09186a00804fc3dc.html#wp161272

You can convert an access point from lightweight mode back to autonomous mode by loading a Cisco IOS Release that supports autonomous mode (Cisco IOS release 12.3(7)JA or earlier). If the access point is associated to a controller, you can use the controller to load the Cisco IOS release. If the access point is not associated to a controller, you can load the Cisco IOS release using TFTP.

Using a TFTP Server to Return to a Previous Release

Follow these steps to revert from LWAPP mode to autonomous mode by loading a Cisco IOS release using a TFTP server:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 The static IP address of the PC on which your TFTP server software runs should be between 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.30.

Step 2 Make sure that the PC contains the access point image file (such as c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar for a 1200 series access point) in the TFTP server folder and that the TFTP server is activated.

Step 3 Rename the access point image file in the TFTP server folder to c1200-k9w7-tar.default for a 1200 series access point, c1130-k9w7-tar.default for an 1130 series access point, and c1240-k9w7-tar.default for a 1240 series access point.

Step 4 Connect the PC to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 5 Disconnect power from the access point.

Step 6 Press and hold MODE while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 7 Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds) and then release.

Step 8 Wait until the access point reboots, as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.

Step 9 After the access point reboots, reconfigure it using the GUI or the CLI.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/prod_technical_reference09186a00804fc3dc.html#wp161272

Hope this helps!

Rob

Greeting Rob! Thank you for the reply.

I guess I should have been a bit more detailed in my description of following the instructions. Sorry about that!

As of right now, I have a TFTP folder setup that the Cisco Aironet has access to. With this, I renamed the original file to c1240-k9w7-tar.default. This may be where my issue lies. From the model no, I assumed this to be a 1240.

In doing the upgrade, the device finds the file perfectly and download / installs it to the device.

From there, after the installation completes is where I'm finding the issue of the lock-up.

If you need anymore information, let me know. Thank you!

Hi Jeffrey,

Sorry, I didn't read closely enough :( Please try this older IOS version instead of 12.3(8)JEB1;

Cisco IOS Release 12.3(8)JEB1 is a general maintenance release that concentrates on bug fixes and includes minor features. You can install Cisco IOS Release 12.3(8)JEB1 on any Cisco Aironet access 1100, 1210, or 1230 series access point.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/ios/release/notes/12_3_8_JEB1.html

You can install Cisco IOS Release 12.3(7)JA on all 350, 1100, 1130AG, 1200, 1230AG, and 1240AG access points.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/ios/release/notes/b37jarn.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

At this point, I was able to obtain the 12.3(7) for JA5 and and older version, JA2. Both images are causing the same problems with the image installation then lockup.

I've attached two text files that show the installation and the final lockup. The device never restarts after the final image load.

Any questions, let me know. Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card