Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco Aironet 1250 basic setup questions

Hi,

I'm going to be three Aironet 1250's within a building.  There is not going to be a wireless controller, the AP's are all going to be standalone.  I am going to set them all up the same, with WPA2 wireless encryption.  My question is, is it important/beneficial to add configuration to the AP's so they are aware of each other (for roaming perhaps)?  If so, what is this technology called and could someone point me towards a section of a guide that could illustrate this?

Or am I good with just configuring 3 standalone AP's as is.

Any other pointers are welcome.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Cisco Aironet 1250 basic setup questions

Hi,

if you use pre-shared key as authentication method, then there is nothing special to do. As long as they have the same SSID, are in the same subnet and are connected to the same network, roaming will happen just fine.

No special configuration will be needed.

Nicolas

--

If     this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question    as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

8 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi,

On Autonomous APs you can use Wireless Domain Services (WDS) technology which allows the APs to be aware of each other and make roaming faster withouth needing full authentication each time the clients move from one AP to the other.

Basically you configure the same SSIDs on all 3 APs, then only one will act as primary WDS.

The primary WDS will be responsible for the communication between the clients and the RADIUS server, and the infrastructure APs will simply bypass all the info from the clients to the primary WDS and vice-versa.

Evenually you can configure standby WDS with different priorities so that in case of the primary WDS goes down, another AP assumes the role of active WDS.

Configuration Example via AP GUI:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps458/products_configuration_example09186a008059a559.shtml.

In attach you can find an example of config using WDS and Infra APs. You will find example to configure open ssid, psk, and eap using WPA2.

3 diferent vlans.

Clients authenticate against External RADIUS Server and APs authenticate on local RADIUS for WDS.

HTH,

Tiago

Thanks Tiago,

The information is useful and I will keep it for future reference.  However, the environment which we are in is a house.  There are no servers for RADIUS authentication.  This being said, would it be sufficient to configure the 3 AP's identically (minus different IP's obviously) and then place them in the house accordingly?  Would it make sense to add any additional configuration to make the AP's aware of each other?  If so, what is the recommendation?

Thanks again!

Cisco Employee

Hi,

if you use pre-shared key as authentication method, then there is nothing special to do. As long as they have the same SSID, are in the same subnet and are connected to the same network, roaming will happen just fine.

No special configuration will be needed.

Nicolas

--

If     this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question    as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

Great.  Thanks for your suggestions on this matter!  Much appreciated.

Cisco Employee

Yes, you can still use WDS to make the 3 APs aware of each other and simply do not use any eap method that requires RADIUS.

For example pre-shared key as Nico mentioned.

HTH,

Tiago

--

If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

So, my understanding of using WDS without an authentication server is basically for radio management purposes--is that correct?

Could someone propose configuration commands to enable WDS in this type of environment for the three AP's (no authentication server, no WLAN controller, just 3 AP's)?

Also, an honest opinion of whether this is a best practice for this setup and is indeed recommended would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Cisco Employee

I really think you don't even need radio management with only 3 APs. They can be on the 3 different channels of 802.11b/g and never interfere with each other.

I'd suggest going the simple way and not bothering with WDS configuration :-)

Nicolas

OK--Thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content