Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Cisco AP 1200 Serie - Extend Network?

Hi,

I have one Cisco AP 1200 and there are 2 rooms in my house where I don't have enough receipt.

Can I use something like a repeater or a bridge? I have LEAP encryption enabled.

Thanks for your help,

Regards

Bas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bronze

Re: Cisco AP 1200 Serie - Extend Network?

Not exactly - The second AP in your case would be configured as a repeater so nothing would be connected to it except the power cord. It is listening for the Main AP which is why the throughput from this AP will be half of the regular AP among other things.

What I would do if I were you (because I do not like repeaters)is purchase a linksys router and plug the cable modem into this.

This does two things - you now have the capability to create an internal network behind this 'physical firewall' using NAT translation. You also have 4 ports that you can plug stuff into to share the one connection.

So, you plug both AP's into the linksys box and now you have two RF cells that offer the most throughput with out having to repeat.

The drawback here is getting a cable to the furthest AP.

The upshot is the AP's do not have to be next to the cable box and you can now potition them in more desireable places around your home to maximize coverage without sacraficing throughput.

Plus the added bonus of keeping your data safe from unauthorized ping requests and evil do'ers trying to pop easy locks.

check out the 'shields up' pages on www.grc.com which will explain it better than I surely can...

4 REPLIES
Bronze

You would be better served adding additional AP's to cover your thin spots.

This will actually accomplish what you wanted to accomplish without dinging your throughput by half as a repeater would.

Community Member

Ok so I can connect an additional AP to my excisting AP? The reason why I ask is because I only have internetaccess (cablemodem) at one point...

thanks for your reply

Bronze

Not exactly - The second AP in your case would be configured as a repeater so nothing would be connected to it except the power cord. It is listening for the Main AP which is why the throughput from this AP will be half of the regular AP among other things.

What I would do if I were you (because I do not like repeaters)is purchase a linksys router and plug the cable modem into this.

This does two things - you now have the capability to create an internal network behind this 'physical firewall' using NAT translation. You also have 4 ports that you can plug stuff into to share the one connection.

So, you plug both AP's into the linksys box and now you have two RF cells that offer the most throughput with out having to repeat.

The drawback here is getting a cable to the furthest AP.

The upshot is the AP's do not have to be next to the cable box and you can now potition them in more desireable places around your home to maximize coverage without sacraficing throughput.

Plus the added bonus of keeping your data safe from unauthorized ping requests and evil do'ers trying to pop easy locks.

check out the 'shields up' pages on www.grc.com which will explain it better than I surely can...

Community Member

mmm ok that sounds good to me,

I think I am going to to this, thanks a lot

for your help and nice description!

Thanks!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content