Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AP 2800 and Cisco AP 1250

joao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we are planning to buy some Cisco AP 2800 to expand our Wireless Network. We currently own 3 Cisco AP 1250.

Can AP 2800 and AP 1250 connect to the same vWLC?Can AP 1250 running 15.3(3)JA10 IOS connect to vWLC running 8.2 or 8.3 software?

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ain't going to work. 

The final software version to support the 1250 is 8.0.X.  

The MINIMUM required firmware version to support the 2800 is 8.2.X.  

Depends on which of the two models are "important".  The less important model can run autonomous of Cisco Mobility Express and the more important model can join the controller.

Thanks Leo!

One question, it's possible to have WLC ans ME solutions in same network?

There will be no conflict when an AP boot and broadcast?

it's possible to have WLC ans ME solutions in same network?

Sure.  Why not?

There will be no conflict when an AP boot and broadcast?

I don't see any conflict.

I think Joao refers to the controller discovery process.
-> will the different model AP discoverand register to the correct controller ?

@Joao: when adding new AP's inititally there may be a registration at the wrong controller. but once configured with a primary controller the AP will select the desired one at next boot.

alternatively you need to put the AP's in different VLANs then you can direct them to the right controller using different DHCP-option-43 for eacht vlan/subnet.

Hi!

Thanks for reply, but this documment say that I cannot use vWLC and ME on same network.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/mob_exp/83/us...

Prerequisites for Setting Up and Accessing Cisco Mobility Express

• You must not have other Cisco wireless controllers, neither appliance nor virtual, in the same network, during setup or during daily operation of a Cisco Mobility Express network.

The Cisco Mobility Express controller cannot interoperate or co-exist with other wireless controllers in the same network. Ensure that there no wireless controllers, other than the Cisco Mobility Express controller, in the network.

Hi!

Thanks for reply, but this documment say that I cannot use vWLC and ME on same network.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/mob_exp/83/user_guide/b_ME_User_Guide_83/b_ME_User_Guide_83_chapter_01000.html

Prerequisites for Setting Up and Accessing Cisco Mobility Express

• You must not have other Cisco wireless controllers, neither appliance nor virtual, in the same network, during setup or during daily operation of a Cisco Mobility Express network.

The Cisco Mobility Express controller cannot interoperate or co-exist with other wireless controllers in the same network. Ensure that there no wireless controllers, other than the Cisco Mobility Express controller, in the network.

You must not have other Cisco wireless controllers, neither appliance nor virtual, in the same network, during setup or during daily operation of a Cisco Mobility Express network.

Take that with a grain of salt.  

If you follow the advice, you are in a no-win situation.   The advisory is, to put it bluntly, "Use the 1250 or the 2800 and not both".  

Either get rid of the 1250 (and upgrade t 2800) or don't use the 2800.  

I'd take this advisory up to management and let them get the ball rolling on replacing the 1250.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card