Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco APs are not broadcasting the full device name in the beacon frame!

Hi All,

We have over 800 Cisco Aironet 1220, 1230, 1242 APs deployed in our company. I use AirMagnet to check the signal and do some sniffer job. What I found is that these Cisco APs are not sending out the full device name. Say my device name is gw-cr-lap1242-rp4. what I can see from AirMagnet is only gw-cr-lap1242-r, the last two letters of p4 are cut off. I also did the decode. The length for AP name is 30 bytes which is able to hold the full name, but from the packets, AP only sends out the name of gw-cr-lap1242-r and then fills the rest room with garbage. This is annoying since we have gw-cr-lap1242-rp1,gw-cr-lap1242-rp2, ... gw-cr-lap1242-rp32, etc. I have to compare the MAC to locate the AP.

Please see the attached pictures.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cisco APs are not broadcasting the full device name in the b

Well, I understand it's a pain, but maybe chosing "L" for lwapp and "A" for autonomous ? you gain 2 chars.

Why you can configure long names : because it's also the hostname of the AP, because it appears in the AP list like that, because it is syslogged correctly.

It just happens that the CCX extension containing the AP name has a limitation of 15 chars.

I have no idea about the feasibility of this limit increased. Maybe a product enhancement request with your account team could reply to that question. I'm just noticing facts :-)

Regards,

Nicolas

3 REPLIES

Hi Robert,

I just verified this behavior in my lab with other AP models. Indeed the AP name is always limited at 15 chars.

However, I disagree with you saying "just fills the rest with garbage". The tag is indeed 30 bytes but it's Airmagnet which can only decode the name out of that. Wireshark will show you the current amount of clients associated to the AP. So the whole tag is 30 bytes but only 15 bytes out of that are for the name. I'm afraid this is not a bug.

Maybe you can rename your APs ? Sounds like a silly workaround but you could for example remove "lap" from the name. It's kind of implied that the 1242 is an access point :-)

Regards,

Nicolas

===

dont' forget to rate answers that you find useful

Hi Nicolas,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Renaming the AP is not applicable. We have over 600 APs all over our company. We have to make the name meaningful, like lap mean lightweight AP, ap means autonomous AP, N15 mean cabinet N15, etc.

I just don't understand the long name is accepted by the AP but it just won't broadcast it out.

Well, I understand it's a pain, but maybe chosing "L" for lwapp and "A" for autonomous ? you gain 2 chars.

Why you can configure long names : because it's also the hostname of the AP, because it appears in the AP list like that, because it is syslogged correctly.

It just happens that the CCX extension containing the AP name has a limitation of 15 chars.

I have no idea about the feasibility of this limit increased. Maybe a product enhancement request with your account team could reply to that question. I'm just noticing facts :-)

Regards,

Nicolas

Views
Helpful
Replies