Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco APs not joining WLC

jagan.chowdam
Level 4
Level 4

Hi guys,

I am in the process of configuring a WLC and got stuck due to APs are not joining the WLC.

I have configure DHCP server on the Gateway router and the WLC management interface is pointing to the Gateway as DHCP Server.

I have multiple Dynamic interfaces configured on the WLC and Interface group has been configured and mapped to Management Interface.

For each WLAN, a separate DHCP pool has been created on the router.

LAG has been configured and working fine. Connectivity works fine in the network and I can ping all devices and vlans from WLC.

Now, the APs are not joining the WLC. The error I am getting

" 44:03:a7:f1:b4:40 Received a Discovery Request from 44:03:A7:F1:B4:40 via IP broadcast address but the source IP address (10.xx.xx.xx) is not in any of the configured subnets. Dropping it "

Some one help me troubleshooting this issue with DHCP IP Assignment.

Thanks,

CJ

3 Replies 3

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

How are you informing the AP of the WLC management address?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00808714fe.shtml#p3

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

If you are using Broadcast method to discover WLC to AP then you need to ensure following is correctly configured.

1. Unders the switch SVI defined for AP-management (10.38.11.x) you have to configure "ip helper-address "

2. In switch global config "ip forward-protocol udp 5246"

Refer this for more detail

http://mrncciew.com/2013/05/04/wlc-discovery-via-broadcast/

There are other methods available as well (static, DNS, DHCP option 43) for the WLC discovery purpose. To verify there is no configuration issues at WLC end, you can simply configure the WLC details on AP statically & check wether AP get register to WLC. To do this you can enter following CLI commands on AP console priviledge mode.

debug capwap console cli

!

capwap ap ip address 10.38.11.x 255.255.255.x

capwap ap ip default-gateway 10.38.11.y

capwap ap controller ip address

In this way your AP should get registered to WLC (if no config issue at WLC end). Refer this for more detail

http://mrncciew.com/2013/03/17/ap-registration/

If you have so many APs, then as Steve pointed configuring DHCP-Option 43 would be a good option

Regards

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Abha Jha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It seems your LAP AP is not getting the iP of the management subnet and LAP is in different subnet than your management IP.

Please try keeping the static IP on the LAP and then try joining it to the controller first and later on keep it on the DHCP.

when AP is plugged into a switch, the switch port needs to be access with the right VLAN allowed

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card