Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO CAP3602E-E-k9

john smith
Level 1
Level 1

hello freinds,

i have cisco CAP 3602e series access point to work with 5500 series controller with code 7.0

i did not find VCI option 60 for this type of APs to configure DHCP.

can someone tell me that how i can let my these APs will join the controller, i mean through which process

DNS discovery methode and what about if i need to configure option 60 and 43 in dhcp for ap joining process to controllers

thanks

15 Replies 15

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You first need to run 7.2 code and then you can follow how the 3500, but put in the 3600 VCI.

Cisco AP c3600

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/3600/quick/guide/ap3600getstart.html#wp37338

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

If you have the AP in front of you and you have console access, you can always enter the following command:

capwap ap controller ip address

Or even easier, put the APs on the same subnet as the wlc management and have the APs join the wlc. Then you can move the ap to any other subnet you want.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You do t necessarily need option 60. This is a limiter as to what device will get the option 43. Most devices would drop the option of it doesn't understand it.

Per best practices your AP should be in their own VLAN. If your are able to configure it that way you don't need the option 60/ VCI as only the AP will pull from the scope.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Can you do without option 60 though if you're doing windows dhcp? I don't want to use option 60 and I have done this with IOS dhcp but I want to do the same with Windows DHCP! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

fintheman
Level 1
Level 1

After having the same type of problems I came to this post.  While it is answered, I do know what is going on.

no shutdown your radio interface before you set your power.

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The 3600 series access point uses the type-length-value (TLV) format for DHCP Option 43. DHCP servers must be programmed to return the option based on the access point's DHCP Vendor Class Identifier (VCI) string (DHCP Option 60). The VCI string for the 3600 series access point is:

Cisco AP c3600

I have been able to get the IOS DHCP to correctly relay the info to my c3602's, but I cant seem to figure out why my windows DHCP will not get my WLC IP to the AP's. 

I have option 60 set as Cisco AP c3600 (in ascii), and option 43 set as hex f1042e012e012e01    (my wlc is 10.1.1.1) 

AP's are getting correct IP for itself, but not for WLC.  any suggestions?

Hi Nick,

Your hex value is wrong. If your WLC managment is 10.1.1.1 hex value should be 0x f1040a010101.

Please see the below example as it explain how to configure it

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00808714fe.shtml

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses *****

ah thank you. so the hex code is figured out by separate octets. I got it.    so if i want all devices to get the option 43, i can just configure this, correct?  but if i want only specific AP types to be configured, then i have to configure option 60?

Hi Nick,

Option 60 is not required.

Even if you configure option 60, AP will get WLC ip irrespective of the AP model, so no point of configuring it.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

very confusing explainations on cisco site, and many conflicting information around the web. in the end its simple: configure option 43 for WLC IP. (in TLV format)

thanks a bunch!

Hi Nick,

Yes, it is. Just simple option 43 is the best way to go

If our responses were useful do not forget to rate them accordingly.

Regards

Rasika

I suppose this might require a separate discussion - but i've been running into a problem once the AP's do get connected to the WLC, capwap forms, and new code is downloaded - then AP's shutdown and ports need to be shut/noshut to bring them back online.  Not sure why they are shutting down instead of resetting. any insight?

Hi Nick,

Yes open a seperate thread for this by posting your AP console output when this occur.

May be regulatory domain/country code on your WLC & AP does not match

HTH

Rasika

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card