Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 6500 SUP-2T VSS & WiSM2 HA

nsonythomas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have around 2000 APs in my network and have 2*WiSM2 modules with 1000 AP licenses each and my core switch is 65K-Sup2T in VSS.

How an I acheive HA for my WLCs for total 2000 APs.

Will 1*WiSM2 module & one HA module per chassis will work for this or any restructions for that.

Awaiting for the replies,

Sony

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I have around 2000 APs in my network and have 2*WiSM2 modules with 1000 AP licenses each and my core switch is 65K-Sup2T in VSS.

Ok, here's what WE'VE done with WiSM2 and HA in a VSS environment.

You have two WiSM2's and servicing 2000 APs.  So if you want to get HA SSO up and running you need:

1.  TWO more WiSM2 with HA SSO license;

2.  Four IP addresses;

3.  VLANs of your management and redundancy should be bridged across the 2nd pair

4.  Make sure you use 7.5.X firmware; and

5.  High Availability (AP SSO) Deployment Guide

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Yahya Jaber
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

the maximum number of AP's the WiSM2 can handle is 1000 AP.

so the HA over 2000 AP is not possible.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have 2 nos of WiSM2 modules each with 1000AP licenses and 2 nos of HA modules : Can I use this configuration to support 2000 APs

Hi,

if you have 2000 APs "1000 for each" and one WiSM Pair "active and standby" failed, the AP's will not move to the other pair since it has reached full AP capacity.

if you are not reaching 1000 AP on WLC's then you can configure the old high availablity on the AP, so when the pair for that AP fails, the AP will move to the secondary pair. "here is a good place to set the failover priority depending on how critical is that AP"

If you have that many access points and want to do HA then they will only be able to fail over within the HA pair they are associated with.

As Yahya mentioned above, you only have 2000 licences today (1000 per HA pair) so if you lost a single HA pair, the 1000 AP's associated with that pair would not be able to associate with the second HA pair because the licences would all be in use.

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, this is not possible. WiSM2 module & one HA module per chassis will not work for this or any restructions for that.

nsonythomas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Thanks for the replay and one quick question,

how many WiSM2 and HA pair 65K-SUP2T VSS supports?

You can find your answer in the data sheet: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2706/products_tech_note09186a0080b7c904.shtml

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ok, here's what WE'VE done with WiSM2 and HA in a VSS environment.

You have two WiSM2's and servicing 2000 APs.  So if you want to get HA SSO up and running you need:

1.  TWO more WiSM2 with HA SSO license;

2.  Four IP addresses;

3.  VLANs of your management and redundancy should be bridged across the 2nd pair

4.  Make sure you use 7.5.X firmware; and

5.  High Availability (AP SSO) Deployment Guide

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response.

2*WiSM2 with 1000 AP licenses and  2*HA SKU (WS-SVC-WISM2-HA-K9) can solve this issue rt?

Like Leo mentioned your either need

Qty 2 WiSM2 Licensed with 1000 ap and
Qty 2 WiSM2 HA

Or you just get 3 WiSM2 licensed and one will be a backup.

You are really at the limit of 2000 AP's. Have you looked at two 8500's in HA? If all your AP's are in FlexConnect, you can also look at the flex7500 in HA.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Item #4 is a link to a Cisco document.

Be warned that this document was made for a 5508 in HA.  There's a "bug" in the document where it does NOT talk about how to get the WiSM2 setup for HA.  There is something missing about the configuration that has to be made on the VSS.  I'll try to find it and post it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: