Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco clean air and some RF problems

Charith Gamhewa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My current setup is briefly, i have implemented WLAN with a 2504 WLC and aironet 3600 APs.

1. when i enable both wireless radio a/n and b/g/n ; Can it communicate with two seperate devices

simultaneously that are respectively running RF a and g ?

2. How can i enable 5Ghz frequencies only (disable 2.4 ranges) ?

3. with cisco clean air, is it self changing the channel according to external Wi-fi and non Wi-fi interferneces?

Thanks,

Charith

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
1. when i enable both wireless radio a/n and b/g/n ; Can it communicate with two seperate devices simultaneously that are respectively running RF a and g ?

Yes.

You want to disable the 2.4 Ghz radio or the data rates, for ALL APs or just a few APs?  If data rates, which ones do you want to disable?  802.11b or 802.11g data rates?

If you want to disable the 2.4 Ghz radio as a whole, go to Wireless > 802.11b > Network.  You can disable the 2.4 Ghz radio for all the APs.

If you want to disable 2.4 Ghz radio for a select few APs, go to Wireless > Access Point > to the right of each access point is a blue triangle, hover your curser and choose "Configure".

3. with cisco clean air, is it self changing the channel according to external Wi-fi and non Wi-fi interferneces?

Yes.  It will detect how strong is the interferrence and change channels accordingly.  If the interferrence is too low, then it'll sit still but if the interferrence gets stronger, the AP will change channels.

Make sure you have EDRRM enabled.

View solution in original post

Don't even think about CleanAir.

In "lay man's term", RRM means the controller set the channels each of the AP will transmit.  The WLC will also detect if nearby AP's signal is generating interferrence.  If it is, then the AP will once again change the channels until co-interferrence is set to a minimu.

EDRRM means Event Driven Radio Resource Management and is the exclusive domain of CleanAir.  AP with hardware-based CleanAir chip will detect non-WiFI interferrence (like Bluetooth, Microwave oven, wireless microphone, etc.).  It is called Event Driven because when the interferrence is too low, the WLC will do nothing.  But if the interferrence is getting stronger, the AP will adjust the channels to the APs affected by the interferrence.

Does this make sense?

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Charith,

As per your query i can suggest you the following solution-

Please refer clean air technology for 3600 AP http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11983/index.html

And for 2600 AP http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12534/index.html

Hope this will help you.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
1. when i enable both wireless radio a/n and b/g/n ; Can it communicate with two seperate devices simultaneously that are respectively running RF a and g ?

Yes.

You want to disable the 2.4 Ghz radio or the data rates, for ALL APs or just a few APs?  If data rates, which ones do you want to disable?  802.11b or 802.11g data rates?

If you want to disable the 2.4 Ghz radio as a whole, go to Wireless > 802.11b > Network.  You can disable the 2.4 Ghz radio for all the APs.

If you want to disable 2.4 Ghz radio for a select few APs, go to Wireless > Access Point > to the right of each access point is a blue triangle, hover your curser and choose "Configure".

Yes.  It will detect how strong is the interferrence and change channels accordingly.  If the interferrence is too low, then it'll sit still but if the interferrence gets stronger, the AP will change channels.

Make sure you have EDRRM enabled.

Hi Leo Laohoo,

Thank you for the answere it was usefull.

Can you explain RRM and EDRRM briefly ? because i read some document but it was some confuse.

Thanks,

Charith

Don't even think about CleanAir.

In "lay man's term", RRM means the controller set the channels each of the AP will transmit.  The WLC will also detect if nearby AP's signal is generating interferrence.  If it is, then the AP will once again change the channels until co-interferrence is set to a minimu.

EDRRM means Event Driven Radio Resource Management and is the exclusive domain of CleanAir.  AP with hardware-based CleanAir chip will detect non-WiFI interferrence (like Bluetooth, Microwave oven, wireless microphone, etc.).  It is called Event Driven because when the interferrence is too low, the WLC will do nothing.  But if the interferrence is getting stronger, the AP will adjust the channels to the APs affected by the interferrence.

Does this make sense?

Yes. It was helpful.

Thanks,

Charith

Hi all,

Can I know,

when enable Cisco Clean-Air, is it want to enable TPC also (Transmit Power Control) ?

Thanks,

Charith

CleanAir only looks at interferes and decides on channel. RRM will take care of the TX power.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card