Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Cisco Flex Connect setup

We’re going to try and set up a new Cisco wireless system using Flex connect where the controller will be in the mail site and some of the access points will be in the remote sites. The remote sites are of course connected via a VPN to the main. I’ve setup Cisco controllers and Aps before but always just locally in one site. I have a few general questions about this setup if anyone knows. For example do I have to sync up the Aps that are going to be at the remote site at the main office with the controller first before taking them out there or can they be setup at the remote locations? The local sites get DHCP locally there so if so how do I get them to see the controller or it them over the WAN? DO I need to setup a specific VLAN for the AP’s over the VPN?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-5/config_guide/b_cg75/b_cg75_chapter_010000111.html

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

It will be good to have AP

It will be good to have AP try joining the controller once, so it downloads the latest firmware, which may be slow on the WAN/VPN link.

If the access point has been assigned an IP address from a DHCP server, it can discover a controller through the regular CAPWAP or LWAPP discovery process.

As far as there is IP reachability to controller, AP should not have any issues. You can configure your DHCP for option 43 by which AP can learn WLC's address.

If the access point cannot discover a controller through Layer 3 broadcast, we recommend DNS resolution. With DNS, any access point with a static IP address that knows of a DNS server can find at least one controller.

f you want the access point to discover a controller from a remote network where CAPWAP or LWAPP discovery mechanisms are not available, you can use priming. This method enables you to specify (through the access point CLI) the controller to which the access point is to connect.

When a FlexConnect access point can reach the controller (referred to as the connected mode), the controller assists in client authentication. When a FlexConnect access point cannot access the controller, the access point enters the standalone mode and authenticates clients by itself.

By default, a VLAN is not enabled on the FlexConnect access point. After FlexConnect is enabled, the access point inherits the VLAN ID associated to the WLAN. This configuration is saved in the access point and received after the successful join response. By default, the native VLAN is 1. One native VLAN must be configured per FlexConnect access point in a VLAN-enabled domain. Otherwise, the access point cannot send and receive packets to and from the controller.

-Thanks

Vinod

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Please refer to the

Please refer to the configuration guide-

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-2/configuration/guide/cg/cg_flexconnect.html

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content