Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco MSE replacement

Hi,

We have MSE 3310 and WLC 5508 installed as part of wireless infra. We are going to upgrade WLC software from 7.0 to 7.4 or 7.5 which would require MSE upgrade to similar release. But MSE 3310 does not support software release after 7.3 hence we are planning to replace the device.

I would like to know is there any other product which provides similar functionality as that of MSE? Should I go for MSE appliance or software based MSE?

Inputs are needed to make a decision.

Regards

Nishchay Nadkarni

7 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Cisco MSE replacement

You can go either route... many of my customers have chosen the VM MSE.  The only ones who have gone the appliance route were those who actually didn't have an ESXi environment.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

is there any other product which provides similar functionality similar to MSE?

There is not another replacement for the MSE product line.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Hi

Currently i have context services running with Cisco context aware engine for clients and tags service enabled.

license details show CAS elements with 2000 platform limit and 1000 installed limit with license type permanant.

wIPS with 2000 platform limit and 5 wIPS monitor mode AP license of type permanant.

Evaluation licenses for wIPS local mode AP and MSAP are also installed.

I want to run down this appliance and purchase new VM based MSE. What license should I order ? Is basic MSE software free or I have to pay for it and can I transfer the licenses from existing hardware to new VM based device?

what type of base license should be needed considering my existing licenses?

Thanks

Nishchay

The licensing changes when going to v7.5 and is enforced on v7.6. Your better off asking your Cisco SE or your vendor what licenses you will need as they will not just transfer.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Hi,

What is the difference between context aware license for Clients and AP base location services license.?

I am planning for 7.4 version MSE so which one of above two license should I buy?

Regards

Nishchay Nadkarni

Cisco MSE replacement

I'm not on the sales side, but maybe take a look at this licensing for 7.4 or reach out to your local Cisco SE whom can help you understand that various licenses.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/mse/3350/release/notes/mse_7_4_110_0.html#wp1112677

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies