cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.3 Template Application Logs

Mark Withers
Level 1
Level 1

So I'm pushing out a config template to my APs via CPI1.3 (Configure, Lightweight AP Configuration Templates; select template; select my APs, Apply).

I get a "Partial Success" to a few of my APs. When I hit "Details" for these partial successes I get precious little details.

So I go to check the server/appliance log (Administration, Logging, Download Log File). The log "file" is an archive of all logs on the appliance. All are in one folder of the archive, and the names are less than enlightening. Checking the most promising filenames does not seem to contain anything relevant to the push task.

So, which log file do I look into for actual details of the results of an AP configuration template push?

4 Replies 4

SOcchiogrosso
Level 4
Level 4

There is not much documentation out there for troubleshooting Prime Infrastructure issues, you might want to get a hold of TAC should a be a quick Q & A.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

-- CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCNA: Security/Wireless Blog: http://ccie-or-null.net/

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Using System Logs

Prime Infrastructure logs all error, informational, and trace messages generated by all devices that are managed by Prime Infrastructure.

Prime Infrastructure also logs all SNMP messages and Syslogs it receives.

You can download and email the logs to use for troubleshooting Prime Infrastructure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 Choose Administration > Logging. The General Logging Options Screen appears.

Step 2 Choose a Message Level.

Step 3 Check the check boxes within the Enable Log Module option to enable various administration modules. Check the Log Modules option to select all modules.

Step 4 In the Log File Settings portion, enter the following settings. These settings will be effective after restarting Prime Infrastructure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note The log file prefix can include the characters "%g" to sequentially number of files.

Step 5 Click the Download button to download the log file to your local machine.

Note The logs.zip filename includes a prefix with the host name, date, and time so that you can easily identify the stored log file. Included in the zip file is an html file that documents the log files.

Step 6 Enter the Email ID or Email IDs separated by commas to send the log file.

Note To send the log file in a mail you must have Email Server Configured.

Step 7 Click Submit.

I would bet ncs-0-0.log but 'am not 100% sure

Else,

1) login to Prime w/ the admin user account

2) enter root then enter the root password to get to a hash prompt

(if a root password hasn't been set then enter root_enable to set the password)

3) cd /opt/CSCOncs/logs

4) grep xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx *.log

A lot of problems arise when the config on the WLC doesn't match what Prime Infrastructure has or knows about so please refresh the config from controller-

Abishek's answer was not really helpful, as the problem is with the compressed archive (several hundred files) that results from these steps.

Rob's grep I'll have to check.

The official answer from Cisco TAC was a list of around 8 possible files, and that the details on what might be in each log file are internal information that can't be released to clients. Meh. Disappointing, but not TAC's fault.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card