Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cisco WLC 5508 HA connectivity in switch

Hi,

In case we have only one WLC :--

If we using LAG in wlc all cable should go  in same switch and all switch port connected to wlc port should have in same port channel.

( We can not use wlc LAG port in diffrent switch and diffrent port channel) Please correct if Iam wrong.

I have 2 wlc 5508, I am making 1 wlc primary and 2ns wlc making secondary (HA).

can I connect both of WLC in diffrent switch

Can I make physical connectivity of primary wlc in one switch and secondary wlc connect to diffrent switch.

Please suggest..

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
VIP Purple

HI Tarun,

If we using LAG in wlc all cable should go  in same switch and all switch port connected to wlc port should have in same port channel.

( We can not use wlc LAG port in diffrent switch and diffrent port channel) Please correct if Iam wrong.

LAG can only be connected to separate switch if they are stacked or VSS is used.

Can I make physical connectivity of primary wlc in one switch and secondary wlc connect to diffrent switch.

In order to achieve HA, WLCs should only be deployed in a single chassis or deployed between multiple Catalyst 6500 chassis using VSS.

HA SSO requires that the Management and Redundant IP address of both appliance need to be in the same subnet.you can have them be on different switches for the port channel, and that would be the recommended setup.  that way if you lose one switch you don't lose all the WLC as well. But you do have to have the WLC in the same management subnet, and the RP port should be directly connected between the WLC, and not going through a switch.

Moreover,It is highly recommended to have back-to-back direct physical connectivity between redundant ports!!

Hope it helps.

Reagrds

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Just to add.... when you say HA, this can mean that your either have two WLC's with license that is in an active/active, On licensed WLC and one WLC HA SKU in AP SSO or N+1 in an active/standby mode.  All in all, if you have two, its probably best to connect one to one switch and the other to the other switch.  Unless you have a switch stack or running VSS, then you can split them, but with two WLC's, I just don't see the point when comparing to having just one WLC.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
2 REPLIES
VIP Purple

HI Tarun,

LAG can only be connected to separate switch if they are stacked or VSS is used.

In order to achieve HA, WLCs should only be deployed in a single chassis or deployed between multiple Catalyst 6500 chassis using VSS.

HA SSO requires that the Management and Redundant IP address of both appliance need to be in the same subnet.you can have them be on different switches for the port channel, and that would be the recommended setup.  that way if you lose one switch you don't lose all the WLC as well. But you do have to have the WLC in the same management subnet, and the RP port should be directly connected between the WLC, and not going through a switch.

Moreover,It is highly recommended to have back-to-back direct physical connectivity between redundant ports!!

Hope it helps.

Reagrds

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Just to add.... when you say HA, this can mean that your either have two WLC's with license that is in an active/active, On licensed WLC and one WLC HA SKU in AP SSO or N+1 in an active/standby mode.  All in all, if you have two, its probably best to connect one to one switch and the other to the other switch.  Unless you have a switch stack or running VSS, then you can split them, but with two WLC's, I just don't see the point when comparing to having just one WLC.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content