Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WLC design over 2 sites

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

we are looking to deploy 2 wireless controllers, 1 in each of our offices.

We want the site AP's to fail over to the other controller should one of them go down.

My question is, the LAN ip adressing should be different on each site, so they can break out of there local internet etc.

Will this be OK ?

do we have to configure the AP's in HREAP ? So the vlans can break out on the local LAN?

also I gather we would have to have 2 AP groups one per site ?

cheers

Carl

2 Replies 2

Hello Carl.

You can use differente ip addressing in each site, and it works. I tested some months ago.

Yes you need to select Flex-Connect as operational mode for your's Ap's.

Just remember, you need to have enough licensing for both WLC.

For example, if one site has 50 AP's & the Other one has 50 Ap's, Every WLC has a minimun licensing for 100 Ap's each.

Espero que la información haya sido útil y si no tienes más preguntas recuerda cerrar el topic, seleccionando la respuesta como "Respuesta correcta"
**Please rate the answer if this information was useful***
**Por favor si la información fue util marca esta respuesta como correcta**

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Carl, If you're going to put WLC in both sites, you need to do a financial review as well as technical. I don't usually see a WLC fail at the remote end unless the power supply blows up, however, I've seen a lot of cases when the WAN link goes down. This is why I'm asking you to make a financial review. If you plan to move the APs back-and-forth, then you'll need to shell out licenses of both units. But you also need to consider that if you want to run H-REAP and your WAN link goes down, then the AP needs to have a local authentication at the site to get H-REAP to work fine. You should be asking the bean counters which is cheaper: Have one local authentication server at each site or increase the licenses of the WLC to accommodate HA?
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: