Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco WLC with H-Reap APs in Local LAN

Hi Group,

We were trying to design a Wireless network for a School Campus.

We have narrowed in on WLC 5508 along with 200 plus 700 Series APs or 2600 APs.

My greatest concern is that all the Wireless traffic from AP will pass through to WLC and then switched, which in my case would decrease the total throughput considering 200 odd APs and 20 - 25 Clients per AP. 

I was planning on doing the following:

1. Create an Interface Group and map multiple Vlans to SSID to make sure we dont run out of IPs.

2. H-reaping all the APs (not sure about 700 series though) and do a local switching for all those Vlans (not sure if this is possible)

Am not sure what would be the repurcussions if i H-Reap  all the APs. How would it deal with Client Roaming between H-Reap APs (saw some document that L3 roaming is not supported, since it cannot create a tunnel between the source and target AP in H-Reap mode)

School plans to use a white board kind of application for each grades which i assume will be hosted somewhere in the local network. Plus there will be some sort of file transfers between the server and the connected clients. 

Since this is not a corporate network where in the traffic patterns are mostly independent for each clients, we are dealing with a much more structured traffic pattern.

What would be an ideal way to go about it, if i want to provide the maximum bandwidth to the connected clients

Your inputs have always been invaluable when it is needed the most :-)

Cheers,

Manoj

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Well if you are using

Well if you are using multicast for the whiteboards and or Apple TV, your better off running the AP's in local mode. There are limitations to FlexConnect mode and one of the biggest impacts in school environments is with Apple TV's. LSS is a feature to help limit the number of Apple devices seen in airplay, but the AP's need to be in local mode. FlexConnect will work with bonjour, but there is no real good way to limit the number of bonjour devices seen in airplay. Multicast is also tricky because you would have to enable multicast on the network and you have to make sure devices are on the same subnet which can limit you on the subnet size.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies