cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco wlc2504 mac address filtering

marczel00
Level 1
Level 1

I am using a wlc2504 software version 7.4.100.0. I use MAC filtering for wireless device to connect to our wi-fi. Currently I have about 249 saved MAC address that can access the wi-fi. About once a week, the controller looses or forgets 3-5 MAC addresses, thereby devices looses connectivity to wi-fi. Is there a limit to number of MAC address configured to be saved? What is causing this? What can I do to prevent this from happening? Thanks.

2 Replies 2

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

MAC Address Filter (MAC Authentication) on WLCs

When you create a MAC address filter on WLCs, users are granted or denied access to the WLAN network based on the MAC address of the client they use.

There are two types of MAC authentication that are supported on WLCs:

• Local MAC authentication

• MAC authentication using a RADIUS server

With local MAC authentication, user MAC addresses are stored in a database on the WLC. When a user tries to access the WLAN that is configured for MAC filtering, the client MAC address is validated against the local database on the WLC, and the client is granted access to the WLAN if the authentication is successful.

By default, the WLC local database supports up to 512 user entries.

The local user database is limited to a maximum of 2048 entries. The local database stores entries for these items:

• Local management users, which includes lobby ambassadors

• Local network users, which includes guest users

• MAC filter entries

• Exclusion list entries

• Access point authorization list entries

Together, all of these types of users cannot exceed the configured database size.

In order to increase the local database, use this command from the CLI:

<Cisco Controller>config database size ?
<count>        Enter the maximum number of entries (512-2048)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wlan-security/91901-mac-filters-wlcs-config.html

I am using the local MAC authentication with 249 users. What is causing the WLC to forget or delete saved MAC addresses? 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card