Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

clarification in MSE upgrade to 7.4.121 (3355 appliance)

Hi all ,

We have recently upgraded our WLC with 7.4.121. Hence we want to upgrade our MSE and prime alos in our environment .In installation and configuration of MSE guide , I am able to see the upgrade procdure either through WCS or CLI of MSE . But in release notes of 7.4.121 is telling about upgrade with data migration or without data migration. I m new to MSE . Which one method should I need to follow for upgrading the MSE ?Is it possible to update via Prime ?What is data migration ? Any other thing should i need to concentrate ?

Thanks ,

Vijay

Everyone's tags (5)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: clarification in MSE upgrade to 7.4.121 (3355 appliance)

Vijay,

I only upgrade with data when client has aeroscout or other software tied to the MSE Otherwise I upgrade without data. I have always used the CLI to upgrade the MSE and has worked fine. Just make sure you follow the procedure specified on the installation guide. Make sure you backup your original VM of Prime or NCS, take a snapshot if possible.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
7 REPLIES

Vijay,

I only upgrade with data when client has aeroscout or other software tied to the MSE Otherwise I upgrade without data. I have always used the CLI to upgrade the MSE and has worked fine. Just make sure you follow the procedure specified on the installation guide. Make sure you backup your original VM of Prime or NCS, take a snapshot if possible.

-Scott

Hi Scott ,

But is it possible to update the software via Prime GUI ?

You can upload the image to the MSE, but the upgrade command has to be ran from the console of the MSE.

-Scott

Vijay,

Here is a link to upload image to the MSE from PI.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/prime_infrastructure/1.2/configuration/guide/mse.html#wp1074636

-Scott

Hi Scott,

thanks for reply . How much time it will take to upgrade and what is DB installer file in download page of MSE?

Thanks..

Vijay,

That file is typically used when upgrading from previous v7.0. The other file is used when upgrading from older versions prior to v7.0. The time it takes to upgrade depends on how much data you have also if your doing a data migration or not. I have had an upgrade with data migration take 8 hours. So it really depends. If you don't need to save the data, I say it would take less than an hour.

Make sure you follow the directions though. First time you do this of course it will take longer.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/mse/3350/release/notes/mse_7_4_121_0.html#wp1184153

-Scott

Vijay,

One thing you can do is if you have a VM environment, you can always load the version your MSE is currently on and then run through the steps on upgrading.  At least on the VM, it will not break anything:)

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies