Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Clarification related with Flexconnect solution

Dear Folks, 

I have a doubt related with the Cisco Flexconnect scenario . I have a scenario where i need to centralize my wireless to 50 other branches , as the main controllers will be located in DC .

Well , these are the client requirements
1. Every site will have their own data , voice and management vlan (for AP) .
2. DHCP will be local

Now my question is as follows
1. In the main controller, i need to add for every site vlan (ie for 50 sites in total times 3 vlans ) in the controller and in the switch for SVI . ?
2. Is it recommended to have centralized AP management for all 50 sites together , so that i can have one native vlan in the remote site, lets say vlan 100 ( for AP management) . Or is it recommended to have different IP for AP management , in this case, what would be the native vlan, will it be the AP management ?
3. What happens when WAN link is down ? how long can the access point work without WAN connectivity ?

Highly appreciate your kind help and support.

Regards,

SID                             

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Purple

Here is the answers to your

Here is the answers to your queries.

1. No, you need to define those vlans at branch only, If you are doing FlexConnect local switching, all traffic terminated at branch switch.

2. You can have same vlan for AP management. Again this is local to each site, so you have same vlan number, but different subnets for each branch AP management.(same goes for Data & Voice)

3. if WAN link goes down, AP goes into "standalone" mode & continue to work within the branch.(connected users won't be impacted). Depend on "local authentication" or "central authentication" & security method (802.1X or PSK, etc) configured new clients may or may not able to connect. When WAN links come back AP will go into "Connected" mode. You need to use "FlexConnect Group" feature as you are planning to use Voice services to optimize roaming.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

3 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Here is the answers to your

Here is the answers to your queries.

1. No, you need to define those vlans at branch only, If you are doing FlexConnect local switching, all traffic terminated at branch switch.

2. You can have same vlan for AP management. Again this is local to each site, so you have same vlan number, but different subnets for each branch AP management.(same goes for Data & Voice)

3. if WAN link goes down, AP goes into "standalone" mode & continue to work within the branch.(connected users won't be impacted). Depend on "local authentication" or "central authentication" & security method (802.1X or PSK, etc) configured new clients may or may not able to connect. When WAN links come back AP will go into "Connected" mode. You need to use "FlexConnect Group" feature as you are planning to use Voice services to optimize roaming.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi Thanks for the update.Just

Hi Thanks for the update.

Just to be in sync , lemme explain with an example. Lets say i have WLC's located in DC , with

AP-Manager in Vlan 60

User WLAN in DC - Vlan 61

Voice WLAN in DC - Vlan 62

Remote Site - Management IP for AP's - Vlan 99

User WLAN in Remote Site - Vlan 101

Voice WLAN in Remote Site - Vlan 102

In this case, i need to add , vlans for 60,61,62,99,101,102 all in the controller and to the DC switch and enable native vlan in remote site as 99 , with switch port connected to AP allowing vlans for 101 and 102 . In WLC , i need to add them so as to assign SSID's to the appropriate interface before converting the AP to Flexconnect and assign them to AP groups / Flex connect groups.

Is this scenario correct or did i miss something ?

Regards,

Siddarth

VIP Purple

Hi Siddarth,Not exactly

Hi Siddarth,

Not exactly correct.

In the given scenario, you only required vlan 60,61,62 available to DC WLC. Vlan 99,101,102 are not required in DC-WLC (it is impossible to have those over there if you branch connected via WAN)

In branch switch you only require vlan 99,101,102 & configure AP connected switchport as trunk port while keeping native vlan 99.

Vlan mapping is specific to AP & once you convert an AP to FlexConnect & WLAN configured for FlexConnect local switching, you should be able to do the mapping (wlan to vlan for that AP)

You can refer this post to understand the FlexConnect concept (H-REAP was the previous name for this feature & my sample config is based on WLC 7.0.x code)

http://mrncciew.com/2013/03/12/h-reap-with-radius/

Refer below CiscoLive presentation for latest code features & how to configure those.

BRKEWN-2026 - Architecturing Network for Branch Offices with Cisco FlexConnect

If you like to watch the recorded video session of the above you can register Ciscolive365.com for free. Here is the link to session details.

https://www.ciscolive.com/online/connect/sessionDetail.ww?SESSION_ID=76360&backBtn=true

If you still need any clarification pls let us know

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Views
Helpful
Replies