Views
Helpful
Replies

Client detects multiple APs but does not associate + other issues

dmayne
Level 1
Level 1

Background:

We are implementing a multi-access point wireless infrastructure using the 1200 Series APs. We are presently using (1) 802.11b radio per AP. The clients are using Linksys PCI cards that support the 802.11g standard. For "security" we are using 128 bit WEP with MAC filtering, until we integrate an access server based solution.

Issues:

During testing, a Windows 2000 client detected 3 Wireless APs and would not associate with any of them according to the Linksys monitor. Could this be an issue with the monitor? We are using the latest driver and utility (date 7/21/03)

The client does appear to receive a valid DHCP address at some point because AS400, Lotus Notes & Internet work.

When watching the status of the network connection in the system tray - the connection will drop intermittently. The event logs on the 3 APs show that the client (which is a stationary PC) has actually roamed between the APs?

Lastly, when the client logs on to the computer after startup - the drive mappings from the Group Policy logon script do not get applied because the wireless connection does not get a DHCP address until well after the desktop has loaded. The switchport that the AP is connected to is set for spanning-tree portfast. Are there settings in the AP, client adapter and/or Group policy that will help reduce the latency?

1 Reply 1

gilmo
Level 1
Level 1

I would have at least one Aironet 350 client card. This is a good way to compare your Linksys client cards with Cisco cards. If the Cisco 350 connects to all APs that you have then you at least know that your infrastructure works some how.

Next thing I would do, disable Aironet Extensions on the APs, if they are turned ON some client cards that are not compatible may not connect.

3rd, my first deployment I would open the infrastructure, no filtering of any kind, if your clients are able to associate to the APs without encryption or MAC filtering then you know the problem is not the deployment. Don't turn on features like FastRoaming at this point. Start simple and do things in small steps.

Last, I would make sure that you have the latest Cisco drivers for all APs and Linksys drivers for

the Clients.

One more thing, make sure that your SSID matches in all of your APs. Choose on AP that works fine, save its config file and load the same config file into all the other APs that don't work, this way you know the config is not bad one.

Do a test with Static IP, if it does connect to all of your APs then you have an issue here, Cisco had a problem with getting IPs when using DHCP but it was a while ago but for Cisco clients not for APs.

Here I have all 1200 running IOS and a lot of Cisco 350 clients and only one Linksys on my Ipaq, the only time I have problem with the Linksys is if I enable LEAP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card