Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Client SSID selection with Band Select

Hi,

We have 2 SSID's. One configured for WPA\TKIP and another configured for WPA2\AES.

All clients have both SSID's configuration deployed via group policy with the WPA2\AES SSID being given priority in the windows supplicant.

However, I am seeing that some clients will connect to AP's using the WPA\TKIP SSID even when they support WPA2\AES and are configured to use WPA2\AES SSID first.

I've been trying to understand why this might happen and I was thinking that perhaps the band select feature could be causing this for clients with only b\g\n radios. By delaying the probe response to the probe request for the WPA2\AES SSID the client then selects WPA\TKIP SSID.

Has any else seen similair behavoir?

Thanks

• Getting Started with Wireless
Everyone's tags (2)
4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Client SSID selection with Band Select

You shouldn't push both out to clients. You should push out which ever profile from GPO depending if they support WPA2 or WPA.

Band select has nothing to do with this and it has to do with the client device which makes the final decision. The only other thing in GPO you can push is the ability to choose to connect to a preferred connection.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Thanks, Scott *****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Thanks Scott,

In the GPO configuration we set the WPA2\AES SSID to be preferred over the WPA\TKIP SSID. So in theory this should mean the clients that support WPA2 should always use that SSID. But sometimes they use the WPA\TKIP. This can happen when roaming between APs.So just trying to work out a reason why they might prefer WPA

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

I have to say it sounds like a client issue. Capture 802.11 and see what is being negotiated by the client and ap.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
VIP Purple

I was thinking that perhaps the band select feature could be causing this for clients with only b\g\n radios.

Bandselect is a feature to encourage dual band supported clients to join network in a/n band over b/g/n. It cannot be otherway around.

This thread explain this in detail

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2163160

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.