Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Client using static IP address can not connect to the Wireless

WE have  DHCP scope configured local on the WLC running code 6.0.188.0.

Clients can connect to the SSID being broadcasted using DHCP and have access to the Network when I configure the same ip address as static on my laptop it works fine When we add another static IP address to the laptop in the same subnet we are still connect to the wireless (the authentication bit) but do not have connectivity to the Network.

We need to setup rules on the ASA FIrewall based on ip addresses and the option we have are

Either reserve the address on the DHCP scope (can we do it on the WLC 6.0 code)

Use static addresses which is not working.

Can you please help with the above

Much appreciated

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

on the WLAN, do you have the option (under the advanced tab) "DHCP Addr. Assignment" selected?

If this option is ticked, you can only use DHCP allocated addresses, if its unticked, static addressing on the client will work.

HTH

Darren

View solution in original post

Correct.  If you have the box unchecked, you can still get a DHCP address, or use a static IP.  When that box is checked, you have to get a DHCP address.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The WLC can't do dhcp reservations, so your best bet woul to use a Microsoft dhcp server or a dhcp server that can do reservations.  One thing to check is to make sure you do not have DHCP Addr. Assignment required on your wlan ssid advanced tab.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

If you are able to connect with a static ip but you say another device can connect but doesn't have connectivity. Do you mean connectivity out to the Internet or even connectivity internal? If you have a static on your device and I works fine, I would check other devices to see if it may just be that one device having issues. Can you ping the gateway at least?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Many Thanks for you reply

When I connect to the Wireless using my laptop the following steps take place. (this works)

1> Authenication works (which means user name / password) is correct.

2> I get an IP address from the DHCP scopes on the controllers. (and have internal / external network connectivity) for example I picked up ip address 10.0.0.1/24.

3> Now if I uncheck Obtain an ip address automaticatlly on my laptop and replace it with a static address 10.0.0.1 I still have network connectivity (internal / external).

4> If I replace 10.0.0.1 (ip obtain from DHCP) with 10.0.0.2 Authentication bit works but do not have access to either internal or external network.

5> If I refesh my Wireless NIC card with a Static IP adddress Authentication bit works but no Network connectviity (internal / external)

6> we have an ASA between the Wireless and the LAN whihc is allowing these addresses.

Are you sure that that ip address isn't being used by chance on another machine? Can you try a different ip address or else set a static to 10.0.0.1 and ping 10.0.0.2 to make sure no other devices respond.

-Scott

10.0.0.2 is only an example.

The additional static IP address I am using I know is not being used by any other device.

when you are changing the IP, are you disconnecting and then reauthenticating? When you put a static IP on the box and connect, check what the policy state is. The client should be in a RUN state, to be able to,access the network. Is it possible for you to post the WLAN config?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

on the WLAN, do you have the option (under the advanced tab) "DHCP Addr. Assignment" selected?

If this option is ticked, you can only use DHCP allocated addresses, if its unticked, static addressing on the client will work.

HTH

Darren

Hi Darren,

You are 100% on target (many thanks for your help) I have unchecked DHCP Addr Assignment and it worked with Static addresses.

Only for info

If we uncheck that option I am still picking up ip address from DHCP (and static works aswell) are they any advantages for keeping that option checked ?

Kind Regards,

Zee

With that optin checked, you force the client to get an address via DHCP.  It blocks a user from setting an IP address on their device and gaining access to your network.  Basicaly you are stopping someone from being able to steal another users or devices IP address.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

Hi Stephen,

Many Thanks for your reply

TO confirm If  DHCP Addr. Assignment  is unchecked we can still pick up addresses from the DHCP scopes.

Thanks,

Zee

Correct.  If you have the box unchecked, you can still get a DHCP address, or use a static IP.  When that box is checked, you have to get a DHCP address.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

All involved many Thanks for your time and help much appreciated

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: