Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining 1310 Bridges with a 5508 Controller

I have 2 campuses.  I have my 5508 wireless controller working beautifully on my main campus using LDAP.  (YAY!!)  Now for my problem.  My remote campus has 1310 bridges.  I was able to successfully upgrade one of them to work with the controller, however, I can't get the other two bridges to talk to the one that I upgraded and I can't get them to upgrade, it indicates that they need to be the root.  I have several small buildings on that remote campus, than need that remote bridging in order to be able to have network access. 

Any guidance or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Karla Volpi

I T Manager

Tohono O'odham Community College

Sells, AZ

7 REPLIES

When you configure teh 1310 work with the WLC, it only acts like an access point.  If you want to remote bridge into those networks you would either want to put the 1310 back to IOS and let it do the bridging.  Or, you could use a 1552 to bridge into the remote site.

HTH,
Steve

-----------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

OK, can I get the1310 bridges to talk to the wireless network, and use the LDAP authenticaton?  Or am I going to have to scrap these devices and get 1552s?

Karla

you can still use the 1310 with a PSK, or an EAP-Type if you have an AAA server, and not need to incur the additional costs of the 1552.

HTH,
Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

UGH!  Nope, all I have is my controller and my LDAP server.  So it sounds like I need to get one of those new fangled 1552s... Can I use IT to bridge the 1310?  I had it in my mind how it should have worked... but now that it doesn't work the way I expected.. I am all fouled up. 

I have 3 buildings, and 4 of the 1310s,  Surely I'm not going to have to buy 4 of the 1552's.. it would be cheaper to trench fibre!

Karla

Re: Combining 1310 Bridges with a 5508 Controller

No the 1552 won't let the 1310 bridge. If you already have the 1310 why not just put them back ti IOS and configure a PSK to secure the link? LDAP is great for the clients but there's no need to do that for the bridge links.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Ok, I'm a bit confused (not an new state of being for me, I admit)  Can I use the bridges in IOS mode, and bridge the wireless network, and still require people who attach to those wireless access points to authenticate via LDAP?  If so, could you please give me a clue as to how to do it?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Karla

that is correct. As the 1310 will be bridging the LAN what you are wanting to do is possible.   Basically you would just configure the SSID on all the 1310.  On the 'remote' configure them as non-root, and the 'central' as root bridge.

Any AP that you have across the link will still join your WLC, and the clients will follow the security policy that you have configured on the WLAN.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.4_10b_JA/configuration/guide/scg12410b-chap4-first.html

HTH,
Steve

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content