Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Configuration for BVI1 interface

Hello to everyone,

I am trying to setup a Cisco 1801w.

interface Dot11Radio0

no ip address

!

encryption vlan 1 mode ciphers aes-ccm

!

ssid cisco

vlan 1

authentication open

authentication key-management wpa optional

!

speed basic-1.0 basic-2.0 basic-5.5 6.0 9.0 basic-11.0 12.0 18.0 24.0 36.0 48.0 54.0

rts threshold 2312

power local cck 50

power local ofdm 30

channel 2462

station-role root

interface Dot11Radio0.1

description Cisco Open

encapsulation dot1Q 1 native

bridge-group 1

bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled

no bridge-group 1 source-learning

no bridge-group 1 unicast-flooding

interface Vlan1

no ip address

bridge-group 1

interface BVI1

ip address 10.0.1.1 255.255.255.0

bridge 1 route ip

interface FastEthernet0

no ip address

bridge-group 1

I do not know if i have understood the concept of the BVI1 interface, I think that if i assigned an IP to the BVI interface this would apply to every interface within the same bridge group that belongs to the VLAN in this case vlan 1 nevertheless the vlan status is UP but protocol link is down. 

Why the vlan1 is not changing the status protocol link to up since there is a physical port that belongs to it? Do i need to setup a different ip address to every interface in the same bridge group?  I need to bridge the wireless interface to my FastEthernet 0 that is my internal network. 

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES

This should ve worked.

Please check if Fa0 is a Layer 3or Layer 2 port.

Thankd for your reply. 

I have checked the interface and I believe that is layer 3 since there is no switchport command for this interface.  I have tried creating a subinterface and assingning encapsulation with native vlan but I cant ping to my gateway.  There is no additional Fastethernet port that supports bridging.

Thanks

as the subinterface on f0 did not do the trick, what about bridging to a port between f1-8 as I think they operate at layer 2.

When you created the sub-interface, did you add it to the bridge group 1 as well?

interface FastEthernet0.1

encapsulation dot1Q 1 native

bridge-group 1

Cisco Employee

As you have assigned vlan1 IP to BVI1 and created subinterface for dot110 and that is dot110.1 similiarly you should create fastethernet0.1 subinterface as well and map bridge-group 1 with that too to get it work.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. 

About trying a different port, I tried to do that nevertheless other ports beside the fastethernet 0 does not support bridging and I have already done the subinterface for the F0.  

I think that is hardware issue related problem since I reset to factory default and start over with the same configuration and it did work without adding a subinterface for the F0, I just added the F0 to the bridge-group 1 and no ip address.  The problem is that after a couple of minutes the SSID stopped promoting. 

I tried with another router, same model and same configuration.  It did work for a while but the client disassociatted from the SSID and when I tried to connect again Windows started saying it can not connect to SSID. 

I made a ping to internet an it worked from client connected to SSID and from router. 

I believe that it is a hardware issue since these routers are about 8 years old and have stored in a bad conditions.  I cannot figure out what else could be giving me these problems. 

If you have any hint that confirm my theory I will appreciate it.

Thanks. 

Hi,

Try the command "bridge 1 protocol ieee".

Regards.

Views
Helpful
Replies