Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

configuring 5508 interfaces with two different switches

Hi,

I have one 5508 WLC and two 4507 switches which are configured in HSRP.

Now i want to configure 5508 interfaces :

If i want to configure management interface , i need to map to physical port

Doubt :  How can i map to two physical port which are connected two different chassis ?

I know , AP-manager interface configuration is optional ?

in this scenario, I will have to divide AP traffic in between two switches ( eq. suppose 10 aps are there , I want to connect 5 to one switch and another 5 to another switch. )

How to divide ?

please guide me to configure interface in this scenario ...

I will be obliged with your answer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: configuring 5508 interfaces with two different switches

Hi Vinod,

Wasn't this already answered here: https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2052962 ?

HTH,
Tiago

--

If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi Vinod,

please take a look into this guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0/configuration/guide/c70mint.html#wp1117288.

For Cisco 5500 Series Controllers, you are not  required to configure an AP-manager interface. The management interface  acts like an AP-manager interface by default, and the access points can  join on this interface.

We recommend using link aggregation (LAG) or  configuring dynamic AP-manager interfaces on each Gigabit Ethernet port  to automatically balance the load. If more than 100 access points are  connected to the Cisco 5500 Series Controller, make sure that more than  one Gigabit Ethernet interface is connected to the upstream switch.

HTH,

Tiago

--

If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

Hi Tiago,

Thanks for your reply.

As I understood , we need to create below port configuration as i need to connect WLC 5508 to two different chassis.

1) Management Interface :

Map it to physical Port 1

second port ( Port 2 )  need to configure as a backup-port for management interface.

2) AP-Manager Interface

Create two AP-manager interface in same subnet and map it to two different ports.

But again if i configure two different AP-manager interface -------------------------------- this ap-manager interface is optional configuration but since i have two connect to two different chassis , i will have to go for creating two ap-manager interface.

Should I go ahead with above configuration , or i need to add some thing in this......................

I need your valuable suggestion for the same.

Cisco Employee

Hi Vinod,

Wasn't this already answered here: https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2052962 ?

HTH,
Tiago

--

Hi Tiago,

I got to know about the configuration for HSRP scenario but i just wanted to confirm from you that whatever I have pasted the configuration , is it right ?

Mainly , I understood that i can configure multiple AP-manager interfaces for each port but i have challege to configure management interface and map it to two physical interface.

But as you have given details , I came to know that I can go ahead and configure back -up port for management interface for which will be connected to standby switch ( HSRP ) .

Thats all , i wanted to confirm .

Anyway thanks for your patience and helping me to understand this .

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content