Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Configuring Cisco Access Points 1602i Air-SAP-1602I-Z-K9

Hi everyone,

I am having touble configuring cisco access points 1602i. I have configured them and they are broadcasting SSID and clients are able to connect to them, but the only thing which is troublesome is speed. I have 100Mbps bandwidth speed but at access point I am getting speed between 17 to 25. Can anyone please tell me where I am gone wrong.

I have Juniper Srx210 configured as backbone for providing internet on fiber. Then further I have attached one POE switch (managable). From that switch I have attached 4 access points.

One more thing,two ports of Juniper is configured as Vlans, one for staff and one for students. I have attached this POE switch to Student Vlan, but haven't configured ports of POE switch as trunk. Please tell me do I have to configure ports as trunk on POE Switch. Is this the cause of slow bandwidth over access points.

I am also planning to go for Wlan Controller to manage Access points. When I contact my supplier about it, told me the following:

"You just need to convert the Access points to autonomous mode. Here are    some details, there is no additional charge."

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3889653

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp160918

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ_NuxdRhQ4

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14960

I looked at the links but couldn't understand properly. Then I searched over the internet  and found out that

"a cisco autonomous access point basically runs on its own while a  lightweight access point uses a centralized device called a wireless lan controller to get its configuration.  autonomous access points are managed  individually, while the lightweight access points can be managed centrally.  also, the switchport configurations to support both types of access points will  differ. "

I didn't understand, why he suggested to go for Wlan controller and to upgrade access points to autonomous mode, when according to above finding, it says that autonomous access points runs individually.

Please advice.

I shall be thankfull

17 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Configuring Cisco Access Points 1602i Air-SAP-1602I-Z-K9

What you need to know is that wireless is half duplex. So for example, if your connected at 54mbps the actual throughout or max theoretical throughout you can get is half of that, so 24mbps with one user. The more users then divide the theoretical max by number if user. You can also oversubscribed the gigabit port in the AP, but if your testing with one AP and one client, then you should see at the most, half of what your connected to. Now this is theoretically.... I have some devices that don't hit the max theoretical speed, but again it's also the client device that can have an affect to speed.

One thing I can say is that I have seen others on the forum complaining about throughout. Search the forum and see how many others have had this issue and is there was a fix.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hello Scott and Leo,

Thanks for all your help.

I have managed to install and configure 4 Access points and Now Access points are giving speed between 25 to 45Mbps. Still not enought but it sloving the purpose. Everyone is enjoying their face book. I will soon get the Cisco Wlan Controller as well. I dont know if there is a way to get more speed from these access points. I am ready to buy more equipments if required.

Anyway, today I need your guys expretise once again. As you know Junipr Srx 210 is configured for fiber internet to provide internet services to school. Now we are changing the building and transfering the line to new building. This time I want to use Cisco router in place of Juniper Srx210. But I need to know what model will support the current configuration for fiber. Would you please tell me what model/series router will be suitable for fiber internet and for implementing other restrictions.

I am attaching a picture of current jiniper Srx 210 for your consideration.

20140219_144553.jpg

I shall be very thankfull to you

Sarabjit

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Errrr ... This is not going to be easy.

Can you specify what your fibre optic speed is going to be like?  Also, how will you be connecting your APs to the router?  Will there be a switch in the middle?

Hello Leo,

It will be same 100Mbps for this year. But next year we might increase it. Ap's will be connecting using Wlan controller. At the moment AP's are connected using POE switch.

Thanks

Hall of Fame Super Gold

It will be same 100Mbps for this year. But next year we might increase it.

What is your planned WAN speed next year?

Can not say exactly for the next year, but there are speeds available like 100Mbps up to 1Gig. 1Gib will be shared among 3 to 5 people. its kind of government project. If not then we will remain on 100 Mbps. As we got new building, we might get one more building and will get new ISP over there. So, lets consider 200Mbps by next year.

Thanks

Sarabjit Singh

Hall of Fame Super Gold

I would say for 200 Mbps to 1 Gbps, the "smallest" router you can find to support that bandwidth speed would be the 4451X.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/4400-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/index.html

Hall of Fame Super Gold

I have 100Mbps bandwidth speed but at access point I am getting speed between 17 to 25.

Let me get this straight:  You connected a GigabitEthernet AP to a FastEthernet switch port and you want the wireless speed higher?  My question to you is:  Why?  Why bother? 

What speed to do you want your wireless client to achieve?  300 Mbps? 

AP1602 is, currently, the MOST BASIC model.  It has the same MIMO capability as the old 1140 AP.  So don't expect the same speed as the higher 2600, 3500, 3600 and 3700 AP. 

Next, the bandwidth of your wired ethernet is going to be your bottleneck. 

Another one, type of clients.  Not all wireless clients, regardless of the model of the AP, can support 300 Mbps.  Some clients advertise themselves as "802.11n" or "802.11ac" -ready but they really can't go beyond 54 Mbps in some case. 

Hello Leo,

Thanks for your reply. First thing, I didn’t connect it with fast Ethernet. The POE switch is also Gigabit one. Second I connected all AP’s using Cat5E cable. I tried Cat6 but AP’s were not responding properly.

As I said that we have 100Mbps download and upload unlimited on fiber. At one time more than 100 students access the internet. That’s the reason I want good speed. AP’s are providing 17 to 20 Mbps speed at the moment. As it is theoretically written that Wireless ap’s are half duplex but it is not going half its going much lower than half.

Please suggest me good brand of AP that you think can resolve the issue and can give good speed.

Second please read my question again and also suggest me with Wlan controller and help me in coming out of the confusion.

Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks for your help.

It's always better to have a WLC. The 2504 can support up to 75 access points and the 5508 can support up to 500 depending in license. Depending on concurrent connections, you can review the data sheet for each WLC model. If your requirement is high density, then the 3600 or 3700 is what I would suggest. The 2600 I would use if your budget requires a lower cost AP. I don't like the 1600's but it's not like they are that bad, just that they are made cheaper to reduce cost and to be competitive with other vendors. As long as the AP auto negotiates at gigabit, your good. Also the recommended clients per AP is 25. If it's just email and web traffic you can have around 35-40. Voice and video are less.

-Scott

Hello Scott,

Thanks for reply.

This is what I knew before that Ap can support up to 25 users, but my supplier told me that these ap's can support up to 120 users and in case of videos these can support up to 50 to 70. That's why I bought these.

Second about licence for WLC. I asked my supplier about WLC, first he said you might need additional lincenses but later he told me to upgrate APs to Autonomous mode. I understand that in case of autonomous mode APs run individually. Please tell me if I am incorrect and for light weight mode aps WLC is required. I guess mine one's are Leight weight aps.

If WLC can make difference in speed and performance the I would definetly go for it.

Please advice.

Thanks

"but my supplier told me that these ap's can support up to 120 users and in case of videos these can support up to 50 to 70"

They must not really install these, just sell them.... sure you can get that many per AP, but it will be like dial up modem speeds:)

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott

Hi,

So what do you suggest? What do you think is the best solution to accomodate more than100 of users.

Thanks

More access points. You need to look at how many devices per user. I'll give you a good example... In a schools district where there are 35 iPads for like 3-6 grades students per classroom, they see slowness when downloading material but not when performing other task. In many cases, we have had to add an additional access point in the same classroom. So look at users and how many devices they will have and use. You can try to make it work, but don't expect very much, or you can add access points to help with density. You have to make the user experience better... It doesn't matter what vendor you go with, as this is how it for wireless in general.

-Scott
Hall of Fame Super Gold

This is what I knew before that Ap can support up to 25 users, but my supplier told me that these ap's can support up to 120 users and in case of videos these can support up to 50 to 70. That's why I bought these.

Second about licence for WLC. I asked my supplier about WLC, first he said you might need additional lincenses but later he told me to upgrate APs to Autonomous mode. I understand that in case of autonomous mode APs run individually. Please tell me if I am incorrect and for light weight mode aps WLC is required. I guess mine one's are Leight weight aps.

I think you need to look for another supplier. 

Hall of Fame Super Gold

I tried Cat6 but AP’s were not responding properly.

That means you've got a cable issue.  Juniper switches support TDR.  I recommend you try to get the right cable working.

Second please read my question again and also suggest me with Wlan controller and help me in coming out of the confusion.

WLC is always a good solution.  One thing you haven't provided is this:  How many wireless clients associate to a wireless AP? 

Next, what radio do you see users with speeds between 17 to 25 Mbps? 

Leo, juniper Srx 210 and POE switch both are Gigabit.

Thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies