Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

configuring multiple dynamic interfaces in 5508

Hi,

I have 5508 controller where as ap-manager interface configuration is optional but since i have different topology at other end , I have 4507 configured with HSRP and i want to divide the AP traffic in both the switches therefore I will have to go ahead and configure multiple AP-manager interface and map with two different physical ports.

But I have challenge to configure multiple dynamic interfaces.

I want to create two wlans ( Internal wlan and guest wlan )

Internal WLAN : 192.168.10.0

default gateway : 192.168.10.1

internal DHCP server : 172.16.10.1

Physical Port : ............... ?  which port to configure ? ( I have connectivity with port 1 & port 2 )

Guest WLAN : 192.168.20.0

Default gateway : 192.168.20.1

Internal DHCP server : 172.16.10.1

Physical port :  ............... ?  which port to configure ? ( I have connectivity with port 1 & port 2 )

I want to map it to multiple ports of dynamic interfaces for client traffic to physical ports.

how do i configure it ?

4 REPLIES

Re: configuring multiple dynamic interfaces in 5508

Hi Vinod,

if you go that way you will have to define one wlan for port 1 and one wlan for port 2.

To achieve total load-balancing of traffic between ports on WLC, it requires activation of LAG. And LAG requires one etherchannel on switch side and you cannot do this on 2 different switches.

Hope this helps.

Nicolas

===

don't forget to rate answers that you find useful.

Hi Nicolas,

Good to see your rapid reply.

Thanks for showing interest.

I have two different switches which has been configured with HSRP .. and i want to map multiple dynamic interfaces to two of the WLANs in WLC.

I am going to connect 5 APs to one of the switch and another 5 APs to other switch ?

I want to share the AP load in between two different core switches ..

How can i achieve it ?

I will be obliged to get solution of this .

You cannot.

And I'm not talking about a software specific restriction. It's a general truth AFAIK :

if you want to load balance between several devices, you need an external load balancer. You cannot expect one device to load balance between 2 switches as that will freak out the mac address tables everywhere.

So I'm sorry but it's a no go .

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

Cisco Employee

In adition to Nico's answer, I would go throught the detailed guide for the configuration of dynamic interfaces:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0/configuration/guide/c70mint.html#wp1167723.

HTH,

Tiago

--

If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

Views
Helpful
Replies